Just finished a pour.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Just finished a pour.

Post by caedmon »

Taking a new mold for a test run.
stars.jpg
stars.jpg (193.15 KiB) Viewed 19954 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
theowl
Vendor

Re: Just finished a pour.

Post by theowl »

Awesome
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work, love it :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh my word - those came out incredibly!

I thought your design was amazing as a drawing - they're spectacular in real life! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Oh my word - those came out incredibly!

I thought your design was amazing as a drawing - they're spectacular in real life! :mrgreen:
I didn't say this last night, as I was tired and not thinking.

The model for this was a collaboration, Elleth did the 3d model and print for me. And I am very happy with it.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Those look amazing! What type of mold did you use?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Wow is right - those look spectacular! Great job Elleth and Caedmon. I would also like to know more about the casting/molding process. And how big are they??
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh, the work of it was all caedmon - I just did some extrusions of the vector work he did.

I was gonna ask about the size to: I remember once upon a time when I sent the model, caedmon you said they might be a little big?
Shapeways has long since totally botched their creation UI, but I think I can still find the re-scale option to get you another if you think that would work better. I'd just need to know the longest dimension.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

The brooch as shown is 3 inches to the tip of the star's rays which is what I asked for, but feels large when you have it in hand. This is smaller than a large penannular, but is so bulky that it feels quite big.

I'm not certain what size would be better. Tinkering with the unknowns is the hardest part.

I asked for Elleth's help because I was using TinkerCad which wasn't up for the job. Since getting the model I've gotten a new computer and have moved to Autodesk Fusion 360, which is much more powerful; allowing for things like chamfers, fillets, draft, and lofting. (ways to add rounded edges & angles, better for mold release)
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

For molds I take a few paths.

Most of my casting right now is pewter, because I don't need a complex furnace for it. Most people think of Pewter as a lead/tin alloy, but it's any mostly tin alloy. I tend to use britania metal, a tin/antimony/copper alloy at a 92%/7.5%/.5% ratio.

For situations where I need to demonstrate historic technique, I have a 100lb soapstone boulder that I have been chopping up for a few years. Soapstone has excellent heat resistance, and I have done upwards of a hundred casts from a mold without substantial degradation. Soapstone molds are carved in reverse and it's very easy to mess up details, especially when attempting lettering.

For most other situations, I use high temperature rubber molds (Smooth-on Moldmax 60). In these cases I make a model first. I have usually made them out of wax (I've also used copper and antler), but recently have started using 3d prints which have allowed me to get much greater precision. The mold material is mixed and poured into place.

When I have done silver or bronze, I do an investment mold. Here you make a wax model, coat it in a ceramic slurry, and then melt the wax out/fire the ceramic. The metal is melted in a furnace, and the investment mold is also heated so it doesn't break when the 2000+ (farenheigt) degree metal is poured in.
-Jack Horner