What are we doing?

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

What are we doing?

Post by Eric C »

Greetings fellow rangers! I'm interested to know if anyone has any ranger-related projects going on. At the moment I'm in the house listening to the rain and getting ready for lunch. I personally am working on two commission blades and yuletide gift exchange items. Elyon and I have started something that I am very excited about. We are working on our first full sword length blades. They are Anglo-Saxon inspired ranger blades. These blades will be written into their owners' histories. They are not pattern welded for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm not willing to tackle pattern welding and long blades in one big bite.

As usual, before anyone says it, I know, "Pics or it didn't happen." As soon as I figure out how we are posting pics now, I'll gladly share. The process is also being videoed for my forge's YouTube channel.

So, yeah. What have you got going on?

Angarth
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: What are we doing?

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Eric: I'm working on a project that will be revealed in the form of a upcoming contest prize. It will most likely be a pick a number between and the closest will win the prize. I want to keep it real simple as everyone has a lot on their plate this time of year.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eric C wrote: So, yeah. What have you got going on?
I've been quite distracted of late, with a big steampunk costume project, and the MERF gift exchange, this week I got both of those out of the way and am planning some projects, and hopefully will be continuing with this one: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... =31&t=4298
Eric C wrote:As usual, before anyone says it, I know, "Pics or it didn't happen." As soon as I figure out how we are posting pics now, I'll gladly share. The process is also being videoed for my forge's YouTube channel.
This is the method I use most often to upload pics: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... =11&t=4303 other than that you can still up-load them direct to the board but the image file size limits are quite tight
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

I'm contemplating a need-wallet and patterning some cloaks...steeling myself to buy the vast quantities of expensive cloth required for that endeavor.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I run a leather workshop, so I tend to have at least one ranger-y project going at a time, the most recent was the pouch here: https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =25&t=4339

Some time soon I plan to make a replica of faramirs duster from the two Towers for a customer.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm busy, actually!

I'm regularly hunting with this year's hawk (2-3 times a week), I'm treating some homebrew oilcloth for a new groundsheet, I have a batch of pocketsoup in the works, and I just ordered some new wool socks for this winter's outings! Planning to dip some new candles for a new lantern soon, and I just ordered a spool of heavy linen thread so I can splice up a new bowstring.

As for progress on the gift exchange...I'm not telling!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
pkline5

Post by pkline5 »

I have a Polish Lavvu tent, so I am making a "footprint" to make up for the fact that it has no floor. I'm also working on a way to incorporate the mosquito netting in order to make it a truly, "4 season" tent.