Middle Earth Burial Rites

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Middle Earth Burial Rites

Post by Manveruon »

Someone posted the link below on the Misty Mountain Rangers Facebook page a couple days back, and I in turn posted it to the Middle Earth Rangers page, but I figured I would put it up here because I think it's really cool (if perhaps a bit macabre), and I think it might make for an interesting discussion. Personally, I would love to see some of us try this sometime - doing a photoshoot depicting the burial rites of various Middle Earth cultures. Which brings up the question - what would a Dunedain burial look like? Or what about other cultures? Dwarves? Elves? Hobbits? Etc. Does Tolkien specify anything on the matter, other than the mounds and cairns of long-dead civilizations?

Anyway, here's a link to the original post:

https://imgur.com/a/c7WdE
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Middle Earth Burial Rites

Post by Udwin »

Can't see the link at work (will check it out tonight), but Good question. Awhile back I asked Michael Martinez a similar question with regards to hobbits specifically--based solely on Sam's reference to 'grave-yard' in his troll song. His reply wasn't terribly helpful, but it did explore the idea a bit.

We know the Numenoreans had an 'egyptian' interest in preservation after death. Yet Elendil had a black stone tomb on Amon Anwar (UT 3:II), which Cirion later removed to the Hallows of Minas Tirith. It is then described as a "casket", which I suppose would be like, 8 feet long?

In LR BkV:Ch4, Denethor refers to "heathen kings before ever a ship sailed hither from the West" (i.e. the Pre-Numenorean indigenous) being cremated. He also orders his men to "send not for the embalmers", which suggests that embalming was still practiced in late 3A Gondor?

The Barrow-downs are a bit fiddly, since they date back to the First Age, but the barrow the hobbits are captured in was (apparently) the resting place of the Prince of Cardolan (early 1400s 3A). Was he laid to rest in an old barrow because it was already 'hallowed', or did they raise it specially for him? No clue.

We know the Rohirrim raise turf-covered mounds over their kings (at least).

We know the hobbits commemorate the fallen of Bywater by (in what I believe is 'Mannish' tradition) raising a large stone, and (in what I believe is a uniquely hobbitish observance) growing a garden around it.

(As memory serves) Dwarves don't bury their dead but as a rule build stone tombs instead. The aftermath of Azanulbizar being the striking exception, when due to time constraints they opted to build pyres for the fallen instead.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I picture the Orc ceremony as being a clan surrounding the dead orc and in single file from most important to least walking past the body and pissing on it. At least that's what we do in my tribe.

:D

Couldn't resist. The original topic is interesting and I look forward to reading the comments.
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Couldn't resist....

Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:I picture the Orc ceremony as being a clan surrounding the dead orc and in single file from most important to least walking past the body and pissing on it. At least that's what we do in my tribe.

Couldn't resist. The original topic is interesting and I look forward to reading the comments.
I would assume that they eat their dead. And sometimes, their not-quite-dead-yet.....
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Straelbora wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:I picture the Orc ceremony as being a clan surrounding the dead orc and in single file from most important to least walking past the body and pissing on it. At least that's what we do in my tribe.

I would assume that they eat their dead. And sometimes, their not-quite-dead-yet.....
Surely the closest thing to orc ceremony would be fighting over the stuff that belonged to there dead :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Udwin wrote:We know the Rohirrim raise turf-covered mounds over their kings (at least).
Perhaps intending to echo the burial mounds of the horse-bound Scythians and Tumulus/Kurgan cultures...
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Kortoso wrote:
Udwin wrote:We know the Rohirrim raise turf-covered mounds over their kings (at least).
Perhaps intending to echo the burial mounds of the horse-bound Scythians and Tumulus/Kurgan cultures...
In rocky environments it's easier to build up than dig down. Covering the stone encasement with turf would mimic burying as soil would be covering the body.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I honestly forgot about this topic, but yeah, good thoughts! And the commentary on orc death rites is hilariously on-point, I think.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains