Boats

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Boats

Post by Thalion of Bree »

So how often, if at all, do you think the rangers used boats of various different sizes and shapes?
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Boats

Post by Cimrandir »

The search function is a useful tool, my friend. There's not much this forum hasn't discussed over the years and watercraft has been a particular favorite due to many of us enjoying the freedom that comes with sails and paddles.

First bit of reading would be the MERS summer 2020 newsletter. There's a whole essay on Middle-earth and rivercraft.

http://edgeofthewild.org/wp-content/upl ... S_V5i2.pdf

Additional threads that you might find useful would be these.

Ranger Boats and Watercraft
Making a rawhide canoe, step by step
Canoe Considerations

Personally, I think a coracle for ranging and fishing and then something along the lines of a Scandinavian faering for extended travel would be appropriate for the Dúnedain.

EDIT: Not specifically related to the Dúnedain but I always want to take whatever chance I can to promote the work of the team behind Brioc - an early medieval ocean curragh based in Brittany. They are due to set sail on a sailing tour of the UK here soon. I love watching their hard work pay off. One day I would love to take a trip with them.

https://en.gwardanaod.com/
https://m.facebook.com/100052680985229/about/
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

... and then something along the lines of a Scandinavian faering

Oooh... I don't think I've seen those before. I love them!!! They just perfectly matches my mental image for medieval fantasy rivercraft. :)

I've been meaning to weave or find a curragh / coracle for years. I SO want to try one of those things!!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:49 pm Oooh... I don't think I've seen those before. I love them!!! They just perfectly matches my mental image for medieval fantasy rivercraft. :)
I absolutely agree, they totally match my mental image for the river boats of middle earth :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

...omg. and just caught my typed-too-fast Gollum grammar. Fitting for a talk on boats I guess. :(

:mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:49 pm
... and then something along the lines of a Scandinavian faering

Oooh... I don't think I've seen those before. I love them!!! They just perfectly matches my mental image for medieval fantasy rivercraft. :)
Yes, they are beautiful aren’t they? One day when I have the space and water to do it, I would love to turn my hand to boat building. Something like a faering with the sails would be a lovely project.

I’m fairly certain the boats from Lothlórien in the films were at least partially modeled on a faering, both being low, open, clinker-built boats. They are quite fitting for the medieval European fantasy.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain