Coal mine

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

kleenur
Wanderer

Re: Coal mine

Post by kleenur »

I use a propane forge myself. You can build them fairly cheaply. They are a bit different from coal, but the fuel to run them is cheaper and easier to get a hold of.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

I do insect trapping around the coal piers in Norfolk and Newport News. I might can snag a bucket on the sly.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Sorry folks. As has been the case for several years, I'm not on here very often these days. But anyway, there is a guy who sells good quality blacksmithing coal about 2 or 3 hours from here. I just haven't gotten the chance to go get any. I built a coal forge but I think the chamber has too much volume to heat so it never reaches forge welding temps. I used refractory for the lining (which is less efficient than kaowool and satanite). I am going to reline it and make the chamber smaller. I've used a lot of lump charcoal lately but I need to build up the sides of my forge so I can actually corral enough charcoal to reach welding temps. Charcoal really is a clean source, but it takes a LOT to do a day's worth of forging.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.