Bows.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Bows.

Post by Eric C »

I don't recall where I got this from, but I took a dowel and cut a nock into it. Then I drew it on my bow and let my wife mark where it met the back of the bow. I did this three times and came up with a draw length of 27" My current bow is actually rated for 28", so I probably should have tried to draw to the ear instead of the cheek.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The corner of your mouth as an anchor yields a more consistently accurate sight picture than drawing to the ear, but this is in regards to hunting ranges. Long-Range shooting like on a field of war, the difference is negligible, and the extra inch and a half to two inches offered by the ear increases the range potential, because the power stroke can be longer. For a Ranger's purposes, I prefer by far drawing to the corner of the mouth, but historically speaking, both can be used with accuracy. The challenge is being pinpoint accurate enough to hunt at 20-30 yard ranges when drawing to the ear. I've had no success with groupings at that anchor point; I find it harder to keep consistent.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Well, I guess I will have to adjust my anchor point when I get the bow. Thanks for the advice!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Thanks, Greg!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.