Rangers + Heavy Armour

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Rangers + Heavy Armour

Post by Jon »

So... Rangers, I was wondering what all your thoughts were about rangers and heavy armour. Tolkien does say about the Grey Company (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) wearing helms. At the moment I am developing two kits; a ranger kit (which is light armour-based + survival tools, etc...) and a war kit (which Is medium to heavy which is what I would chose if I was up against a hoard of orcs. It's a little bit Viking-based so it still looks a bit ranger-y... I haven't really started on my desert kit yet.
So, your thoughts are welcome.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Rangers + Heavy Armour

Post by Jon »

Ah sorry guys I didnt see Greg's post on Helmets... Anyway:

Life before Death.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know I've thought about this. I think given Tolkien's influences and from armor described in the books I'd not go past maille. It'd be more then likely, IMHO, that the type of mail wold be of the flat riveted variety as they'd have learned to make a high quality maille from the Elves. I'd even think you could get away with a ring mail jacket given the fantasy nature of all this. It's work great, be mobile, and most likely make less noise then maille. Plate, although looking great in the movies, just doesn't appear anywhere in Tolkien's writing. at least as far as I can see. So in essence I'd think a Ranger going to open battle would have looked strikingly similar to one of Williams heavy Calvary at the battle of hastings. So 1066 to about the first crusade is a great place to do your research for a Ranger's war kit, IMHO of course.
Winter is coming
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Ditto what Mike said. You might look into leather or cuir bouilli. Heavy leather armor can be purchased through LARP, Ren, or SCA vendors. I have not seen many pieces available that are boiled or waxed hardened.

Perfect Armor Improved..
TOMAR has a nice chapter on Leather armor.
Google Boiled leather or leather armor.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I agree, maille is probably the sort you want to look to.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I can't help thinking that cuir boulli would look a bit too Asian... Well.. for vambraces and stuff it would be fine.
What do you think about reinforced leather,or splinted leather?

Life before Death.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

some cuir boulli stuff can look quite roman,
also the other thing to look at would be lamellar, either leather or steel, although leather would probably be better at blending in(you could stain it a green or brown to help camoflage) with stuff and easier to make and repair
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I agree that maille is probably the closest to what would have been worn. Splinted arm and leg defense were known to the Norse and Rus through their association with the Byzantine Empire. While cuir boilli as a major armor type in Europe was largely limited to tournaments fought with batons (not going to derail on that subject), this is enough of a fantasy group that is would be passable. Schmitthenner (http://www.schmitthenner.com/index.htm) produce some nice hardened leather armor.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.