Ranger's Library: Non Martial

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Ranger's Library: Non Martial

Post by hesinraca »

Ok, book list for non-martial book sources.

Herbalism books.
In Eugene, OR there is a woman named Heather that does herbalism classes. She has over 12 years of herbalism education and over 18 of practice, and for her class, which the local community college offers an associates for, she uses this book:
"Herbs: Partners in Life" by Adele G. Dawson.
Good book because its organized by season, so you ca start where you're at chronologically and move through it that way.

Other books:
Steve Brill and Evelyn Dean - VERY good for learning to harvest and identify.

"The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable" by Juliette de bairacli Levy - good for those with lots of animals.

"Identifying and Harvesting: edible and Medicinal Plants" by "Wildman

Any field guide for your area. I like Eyewitness Handbook because it's a good line of books, as well as any of the "Audubon Society Field Guide to ---" which are well organized.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Herbalism

Post by hesinraca »

Get it while its hot, I am not sure I can keep it up too long, but here is all 40 something pages of the classes I've taken. Remember, these techniques and skills require you do background research and know what you're getting into. If you plan to harvest, I dont ahve notes on that yet. Any questions, send me a message.

Right click and save as.
http://ramaloke.org/herbalism.pdf
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

How about Tom Brown's Outdoor Survival books. . .
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

We just happened to discuss Tom Brown on the woodcraft section of the forum. Which of his books have you read ? I have only read one of them, I have it around somewhere.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Tom Brown Jr's books in my Library, (as pertains to Rangers):

Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
Field Guide to Nature Observation
The Way of the Scout (good for learning how to sneak)
The Science and Art of Tracking
Field Guide to Living with the Earth
Field Guide to the Forgotten Wilderness

One I still want to get is his field guide on Urban Survival!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've only read one, so I'm going to have to pick up a few of the other titles you mentioned, Thanks
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Free Medical Handbook

Post by KerryTracker »

Here is a medical book that I found extremely helpful.

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/downloads ... al%202.pdf

I know it isn't Tolkien style healing found in the books. My understanding is that the ME Rangers were healers and really good at keeping each other alive.

One of my passions is finding practical Ranger style medicine. I am studying herbal medicine from Dominion Herbal College, and have studied Traditional Japanese Medicine that is very much Nature Based.

I think that the Wilderness First Responder training also teaches to the ME Ranger. It provides techniques to treat without an easy access to Hospital.

It doesn't matter if your motivation is ME Ranger or not. It is just a good idea to know how to treat yourself and your family in austere environments. That can happen in real world rather quickly.

Just a thought......
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I looked through the book quickly and downloaded it. A very nice fine, thanks for sharing! I'll make the time to read it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

http://books.google.com/books?id=BuS9dw ... lt#PPA1,M1

I was looking for a sutler site and came across this. Some excellent crafts most not Rangerish but a good many are so check it out if you're looking for your next project.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Peter,

Thanks for the link. I will add this to my next Amazon order. Finding good used books on the old skills has been a passion of mine. They were easier to come by when we were living in North America.
Now our main option is to order from Amazon.