Orc fighting

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Orc fighting

Post by Jonathan B. »

There would be a few clearance issues with a standard length spear but it's a good idea.I would however have a very long socket or langets to keep them from sundering said spear.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

hmm that looks like the spear we have hanging on our wall hehe minus the pretty artwork engraved
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

what about a naginata?
i was just thinking, with a more traditional spear you could get problems with opponents grabbing the haft and pulling the spear out of you hands, especially if you are doing lots of thrusting
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I wouldn't think a Naginata would be any better in that respect. But it's an option.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have several spears, my favorite being the winged spear similar to the image. Adding binding to the shaft to prevent it being severed is not hard, nor is adding small prickly bits for the one who wants to grab it. For most of human history the spear was *the* weapon, all around...swords were a LOT less common on the whole and certainly were not gifted with the 'noble' regard the Western folk have for them until later on. Perhaps our ancestors knew something about spear fighting we do not. I have no idea really. I have never been a spear fighter, not even in the SCA.

If I had my druthers though I'd forge myself a Gondorian spearhead. Sleek, deadly, simply beautiful.

Spears are an option. Not one I would personally choose but they are indeed an option.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cleddyf wrote:what about a naginata?
i was just thinking, with a more traditional spear you could get problems with opponents grabbing the haft and pulling the spear out of you hands, especially if you are doing lots of thrusting
Practically, I suppose it would make it less pleasant for someone to attempt to grab the haft if the blade were longer, making it harder to find a blade-free portion to grab. However, Western Martial Arts specifically teach methods for grabbing opponents' blades without getting cut...it's not hard to learn. Can't think of any reason why a bloodthirsty orc would even care if he lost a finger on a spear. And lastly, of course, I don't think Tolkien ever wrote about the Naginata...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
jbook

Post by jbook »

I would have to do some reading about Ranger encounters with Orcs in the wild but just personally if I was on a lone scout I would want to stay clear of any Orc hunting parties or possible Orc strongholds such as caves. I would think that my job would be to gather information on Orc activity and then go back, organize a party of rangers to strike against an Orc dwelling or camp.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

In Western terms the weapon would be closest to a glave (spelling) and the cool thing is that though shorter and eisier to transport by a footman, it can still back you up from the action. If it has a bill hook or what in SCA we call a shield catcher, it works nicely to rip the opponents sheild out of place and slash in or let your comrade "Lay on" while you keep the sheild out of thier way.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

jbook wrote:I would have to do some reading about Ranger encounters with Orcs in the wild but just personally if I was on a lone scout I would want to stay clear of any Orc hunting parties or possible Orc strongholds such as caves. I would think that my job would be to gather information on Orc activity and then go back, organize a party of rangers to strike against an Orc dwelling or camp.
Read this, study this, and practice this.

To take what jbook said further and combine it with what Eric and a few others have mentioned, I really see no reason to engage Orcs inside a cave, apart from finding oneself captured in a there-and-back-again scenario. Draw them out. They were smart, for their part, but they're easily enraged, and could be drawn out into the open in a frenzy without too much planning. Drop a boulder behind them in front of the opening, and suddenly we've got a whole colony in the open, backed up against a wall with archers all around. Easy pickings.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

I agree, a good plan. we need to remember we are few in number. in order to win we must make the enemy fight our war on our terms. archers well hidden could decimate a force of orcs,probably before they homed in on exactly where the arows were comming from. caught out in the open, with no where to go. fixed in place. yeah we got this.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

If we are mounted and on a battlefield allowing mounted combat, we can borrow/alter this tactic from the Rohirrim.

"A few of the riders appeared to be bowmen, skilled at shooting from a running horse. Riding swiftly into range they shot arrows at the Orcs that straggled behind, and several of them fell; then the riders wheeled away out of the range of the answering bows of their enemies, who shot wildly, not daring to halt. This happened many times, and on one occasion arrows fell among the Isengarders. One of them, just in front of Pippin, stumbled and did not get up again."

Even better if the Orcs don't have any bows. We can pick them off unopposed.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

"GregTo take what jbook said further and combine it with what Eric and a few others have mentioned, I really see no reason to engage Orcs inside a cave, apart from finding oneself captured in a there-and-back-again scenario. Draw them out. They were smart, for their part, but they're easily enraged, and could be drawn out into the open in a frenzy without too much planning. Drop a boulder behind them in front of the opening, and suddenly we've got a whole colony in the open, backed up against a wall with archers all around. Easy pickings.
A very good tactic! Used frequently by the Warhammer dwarves while hunting grobies and snotlings in the mountains! I love those guys!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: