Trench knife conversion project (img heavy)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Trench knife conversion project (img heavy)

Post by Ringulf »

OK so this is the Blade I was speaking of in the thread about re-hafting.

I am giving several views so you can see the whole thing. It was in pretty bad shape when I got to it and I tried to clean it up some without taking away too much character I doubt it would have been worth restoring for the military collector and I know I will use and enjoy it more if I convert it anyway.

It's shape and one sided grinding makes it a sturdy camp knife, I would compare it more to a kukri in the way it chops, but it also has a grinding on the upper tip for thrusting. This would most likely be a good left hand weapon if I were bradishing it along with a main weapon.

The old grips are disinterating but are good enough (at least one of them) to take paterns from and re-envision them with a bit more ranger styling.

The scabbard is a simplistic affair of would with some sort of skin membrane sewed and dried onto it, then covered in the khaki canvas. I would most likely remake a nicer shaped sheath or scabbard with a small utility knife on the front and/or a sharpening stone.

Some close ups on the blade show the markings, I have not been able to do too much in the way of reaserch on it but I believe it to be a us ww1 trench knife. if anyone has any info or thinks it might be ill advised to not restore it, let me know.

Ok I hope that is not too many pics, I don't want to be obnoxious I just try and be thurough if I can when doing a project.

What do you think?
Last edited by Ringulf on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Trench knife conversion project (img heavy)

Post by Peter Remling »

I generally don't like to alter historical pieces but, it's not a collectable grade. I'd grind off the finger ridges and possibly take off some of the guard on either side, this being primarily and utility blade first and a weapon second.

The sharpening stone I'd keep in a separate belt pouch or in a pack. Definately do a kangaroo sheath for a smaller knife.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Oh hell yeah! I love it! the skeleton tang throws more weight out to the blade for a damn fine snap cut or chop from the wrist, and with some more umph behind it, will remove whatever it touches. It will be and quite frankly already is a very nice peice.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks R.D. !

By the way I took the liberty of checking out Iron Wolf Forge, You have some really beautiful work on there! I loved the hammer! and the damascus work was very nice.

Believe it or not I used to work for a place on Long Island when I was in one of my colleges, called Tucker Jones Tavern Puzzles. That is where I got a bit of smithing education from, We used to make those horse shoe puzzles along with alot of ring and chain augmented ones too. That was a fun job!
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Brother, as much as I would love to take credit for beautiful damascus or anything that doesnt look like "gobshite", to quote a phrase from a Brit friend of mine, I'm afraid my Iron Wolf Forge is not online and may never be. At this point I'm a newly married man who unintentionally but luckily stumbled into self employment after the bottom fell out of my previous job at the worst possible time, while waiting on call backs that never materialized.

I make my living with a chainsaw and a lawn mower :mrgreen: I was raised that there is no excuse not to work, so with the help of friends and neighbors who were kind enough to employ me and get my name out there, my "lawn/ tree and brush removal service" has been a very profitable boon in a tough time :D

I did not know there was another smithy by the name of Iron Wolf and it was not my intention to mislead anyone.

Frith,
RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf: Have you tried an internet search for the serial # on that blade? It may turn up nothing, or it may turn up some interesting info. I really don't know if there would even be any info on the internet about it. Looks like a nasty chopper. A neat little byknife would compliment it in camp.

R.D.: That explains where you were for so long! I was wondering where you got to.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sorry about the assumption R.D. you should check it out they guy does alot of blacksmithing as well as sword work. I just looked up Iron Wolf forge and that came up.

No Worries though I have "Trimed the Verge" many a time to feed my family in our hour of need.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to follow my profesion due to illness and am retired on disability. I was a Marine manager and wooden Boat builder and restorer.

I do add to the till with my artwork and I am getting stronger and healthier by the day, so perhaps I will punch a clock again one day. For now though I am busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest with all my projects (and this site has affectively doubled them) You guys and gals really have some inspiring things here!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK next installment on the trench knife.
After cleaning it up a bit I found one of my old antler grip carving knives (I grab these things in the thrift stores for next to nothing when ever I see them) Removed the handle by splitting it from the tang and squared it up on the belt sander. I used the old half desintigrated grips to duplicate them in the antler, ground down the finger ridge in the middle a bit to make them a bit more even, then tinkered around with the fit all day. This is what I came up with. next will be the pins and a bit of polishing. (I ground enough on the fittings to expose to much new metal so I will try and make it even then let it weather) unless that secret weathering formula happens to be reveiled! (wink)

Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

oooh nice handle
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Loving it! You did a great job!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Very exact fitting. Good job!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

kaelln wrote:Very exact fitting. Good job!
Thanks! Yeah I did a lot of fidlin' with the thing to get it as close as possible. When i got to there I gasketed it with a really cool paper tape I got from a storage place for packing and it is "dry fitted" so that it is snug and secure without the pins.

That is next, the pins!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well I took your advice finally Eric and found out that this is a 1917 wwI bolo knife though some call it a bolo machete.

It had this write up in part: THIS IS A 1917 BOLO KNIFE FROM WWI MADE BY SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. IT IS MARKED WITH "SA" SPRINGFIELD ARMORY-ARSENAL, THE "FLAMING BOMB" LOGO AND 1917 AT BASE OF BLADE NEAR HANDLE ON ONE SIDE AND US 46556 ON THE OTHER. THE BLADE IS APPROXIMATELY 10 INCHES IN LENGTH.

And...
Here we have an authentic and dated WW1 Bolo Machete, used by both the U.S.Army and the U.S. Marine Corps during WW1 and through WW11..It is a very heavy bladed weapon used for clearing brush, light chopping and general camp tasks...and it is an excellent fighting knife if called upon for that purpose..It is sharp on one edge up to the hilt and sharp on the opposite edge for about one third the length, for stabbing etc. It has what appears to be walnut scales on a full length billet of tool steel, riveted and tight..the scales are rough so as to provide a secure grip..it has a full steel hilt.... another said this: Patterned after the 1903 Bolo bayonet,which in 1910 was produced in the form of a knife,identical to the bayonet but devoid of bayonet features.In 1917 the pattern underwent minor modification.The hilt is of steel with crudely contoured wood gripsecured by two bolts.The blade is broad and single edged with a double edge tip.The scabbard is made of canvas covered wood with a reinforced leather tip.Blade length is 10",overall length is 15".

The one I have is the springfield armory version but not in great shape as far as the scales, realease button and scabbard as well as the pocking on the blade.

I think it will find a better home and a new life as a Beijabar fighting knife and if blades truly have a soul I think it would be happy to be honored in this way.

I have removed the canvas and leather cover and reglued and refinished the wooden scabbard core underneath. It is now undergoing the process described on the old gaffer site to make a leather over wood, laced scabbard. If nothing else I am learning a great deal from this project and am excited to move along.

Here are the new pics:

This is the front:

And this is an experiment:

I have embraced the Scythian bear (Ragnar's original casting) as my symbol I have even started the submission process to incorporate it in my device for SCA. I figure it is also a very appropriate piece for use as a Beijabar cultural icon. So after recasting it in a molding rubber, I am going to see if the pigskin I have for the leather outer will conform to it the way it will to the ridge band material. If so I got some possabilities here!