Horses

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Horses

Post by Ringulf »

I love curlys, there is one about a quarter of a mile down the road from us who is a white-ish grey. It reminds me of the shaggy ranger horses that Flannagen writes about. If I were not doing the games I would say that would be a great choice, I am still very cautious to throw 300 pounds on the back of any animal and ask it to actually do anything. But perhaps my guilty conscience is assuaged by the draft horses size in preportion to my own. I was thinking that a Frisian would be as small as I would go.

Hey I just noticed that you are up by Bangor! I graduated from Maine Maritime Academy in Castine and lived up there in Castine, then Bucksport then for a while in Seal Harbor on MDI. Bangor was a common stop for us!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Ooooo! A Leopard Appaloosa? I love those!

I wish I could help you out, but I just had to give my horse away because of my current limbo situation. Until I get resituated in a new job and fully down there with Ringulf, I won't be able to get another horse. But when that happens I will be looking for a couple of them.

I am going to be a bit fussy though and make sure they are horses that are going to suit our needs.

I love Rainey, but she wasn't really SCA horse material. She makes a damn fine pasture ornament however!
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Wolf
Wayfarer

Post by Wolf »

i have, it has been a while. but it was fun
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

Odigan wrote:
Suzanne wrote: I've always thought of Freisians as the perfect ranger horse, being nimble yet sturdy. They are very capable of carrying a ranger in full armor while cantering through the forest. Their black coloring makes them good for camouflage. They are also a Medieval breed and were used by knights.
Just a few quick notes, if you may permit me. There were no "breeds" per-se in the Middle Ages. Horses were categorized by type (Destrier/Courser/Palfrey/etc.), and the Friesian as we know them today did not exist. Certainly there were horses of similar conformation, which may have contributed to modern bloodlines, but these had nearly vanished by WWI and the breed was re-invigorated with (predominately) Oldenburg stock. The Friesian of today - being a light draft - is not comparable to the medieval warhorse (Destrier) type. Friesian Sport-horses on the other hand, are closer to the historical warhorse you seek, having been "back-bred" as it were to produce a riding-type horse.

Any of the Baroque breeds - Lipizzan, Andalusian, Spanish Barb, Lusitano - have a closer claim to "Medieval warhorse" than does the modern Friesian (and yes, I am aware there is a "Baroque" type Friesian). Were I seeking a horse to go traipsing about the forest on it would likely be something of indeterminate breeding around 15.2hh, short-backed, spirited yet willing, in any colour but black (which isn't particularly useful for camouflage).
You're right. Thank you for correcting that. The breeds nowadays are different from the horses centuries ago, due to inbreeding and such.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am very young and still learning. ^_^;
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

We're right up the road from Bucksport, in Orrington Ringulf. We've been down to Castine on several occasions, I even applied for an IT position at MMA when I was layed-off a few years ago. Nice little town.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Just curious Faolan, was wondering if you found good homes for the horses you were trying to sell?

Six months down the road and I am still in limbo land unfortunately. Got all I can handle with a dog and two cats, one of which I nearly lost this week due to low sugar. He is doing better today though and I am keeping fingers crossed that he didn't suffer any kidney damage from this episode.

Saw my horse a couple weeks ago and she is doing great. She reportedly has been getting worked and been on several trail rides. She seemed to be in great shape and was very appreciative of the peppermint candies I fed her and her pasture buddy. It was only about 35 degrees and with a stiff wind the day I went out there though, so I didn't spend a lot of time. I am glad she is happy and in a good home even though I miss her.
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)