Decent stainless hauberk for less than $1,000

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Decent stainless hauberk for less than $1,000

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Hey guys,

N.C. humidity is playing Hel on my hauberk despite my best efforts. do you guys know of anyone that could make me a welded stainless hauberk? My gambeson smells like linseed oil and anywhere the coating rubs off rusts overnight.... The best stainless hauberk I could find was 1,200 with long sleeves and integral hood, excellent! but who the hel has $1,200?

So I'm looking for a maille maker who can do a welded hauberk that I can afford...Someone has to be out there. Hel, I would buy the wire and wind the rings and even clean up the welds if I could find someone willing to work with me on the price.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Decent stainless hauberk for less than $1,000

Post by Jonathan B. »

Wolf
Wayfarer

Post by Wolf »

theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

A decent stainless hauberk is pretty easily attainable, a welded one might not be as easy though. Ringmesh is really your best bet. I have a shirt of ringmesh, and while they are extremely tiny rings, they are quite tough.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Oddly enough I started to buy from Ringmesh but went with GDFB instead. After re-tailoring the sleeves and body GDFB is a good product but being limited on time and factoring humidity, horse sweat etc. I cant keep up with the rust. I need a good hauberk that allows me to train with a minimum of upkeep. Unlike the warriors of yesteryear, i unfortunately dont have squires and servants :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I have a GDFB shirt and I've found that the viking method of rolling it down a hill in a bucket of sand does wonders. Though then you have to get all of the sand off of your mail. But yeah.
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you choose welded over riveted?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Yes there is, a good weld is stronger than a great rivet.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Well you know what they say... when one door closes,dont despair... burn the damn house down. So I think I'm going to try welding a hauberk on my own. The ring lord sells stainless wire and I have access to welding equipment....So its settled. thanks for the replies.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~