So i made my own quiver a couple nights ago

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SoupRanger
Wayfarer

So i made my own quiver a couple nights ago

Post by SoupRanger »

I made this quiver. Its 23in Tall 19in top and 18in bottom.
I dyed it myself, did not use any glue..took about 4 hours. This is the first thing I have made out of leather its about 8oz weight.
Im also thinking about making another one except 19in tall, 16wide at the top and 14wide at the bottom, and a little more imbelished.

Also on the strap, what do most people do to keep the quiver from sliding down on your back?

Next I need to make some bracers...very simple ones out of the same leather, does anybody have a guideline on the measurements? I checked the net and have yet to find any guidelines, pictures or instructions....I did see that tandy leather pattern site..but i figured that sombody here has made there own.
Attachments
bowquiver.jpg
bowquiver.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 14400 times
theowl
Vendor

Re: So i made my own quiver a couple nights ago

Post by theowl »

For really simple bracers I generally just measure the wrist, and then the arm at wherever you want the end of the bracer to be. It can get a lot more complicated, but that's the basic method.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I concur when I go about making a custome pair of bracers (or grieves for that matter) I measure the wrist, and the diameter of the forearm at the place I want it to go up to, and the distance from those two points.

If you want a more contured fit, measure every inch or so and cut the lower seam in or out so the lacings or strapping will pull the material tighter in places. I usually make a moc up of craft foam as it is cheap and very easy to work with, letting you experiment with shapes and thicknesses as well as layers.
Using a soft leather or sued sleeve with a harder leather or metal strapped plate is also fun, quiet and comfortable. they can be more versitile too!

I have some pictures of a simple pair and I will try and see what else I can find, my splint mail dwarven stuff is alaborate but interesting.

Anyway there are a lot more but you get the picture, let me know if you see anything that catches your interest and we can discuss making them. Always happy to pass on the experience. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

First , very nice job on your quiver. Regarding how to prevent your quiver from slipping: you can use any of these methods

1)a three strap type, picture movie Legolas'
2)make a small attachment for the bottom strap that attaches to front of your sword/weapon belt, this will keep the strap taut and won't allow for the quiver to slide
3)keep the quiver strapped tightly (most comfortable when your wearing padded or plain maille.)
4)if wearing mail, just attach your top strap to the maille at your shoulder, the weight of the maille won't allow it to shift
5)if you use a four strap system( straps over both shoulders) friction will reduce the quiver drop and if you cross strap (an X over your chest)it will restrict movement altogether.

Hope these suggestions help.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Nice job on the quiver, Soupranger. Ringulf, awesome collection of bracers.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great work, one and all! I keep my qiuver cinched tight when I wear it and it stays pretty much where I want it.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

Just relized while looking at the quiver last night,,that I attached the bottom strap to the quiver backwards....gota untie all of it again..but gives me an excuss to add some things you guys are talking about...think I will add a hatchet straps to the side of it as well as a random pouch for whatever fits my fancy.
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

So i made some bracers..two pairs actually, a bottle carrier, and a pouch i made tonight, check em out, ohh and a new belt. Not sure if I want to stud the bigger bracers with rivets or not yet..still thinking about it

and in the back ground I got half a cow for 35$ from tandy's bargin bing....and shamelessly will be attempting to copy Gregs jerkin project...what can I say its a nice jerkin.
Attachments
netstuff.jpg
netstuff.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 14238 times
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Soupranger! Very nice job every peice is beautiful and each looks like you took a lot of care to do it right! the matching brown articles are going to look great together! The dark browns look so classy too nice choice!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

thanks!! I now know why they charge so much at fairs..stuff is labor intensive..but I find it fun..I might start doing it to sell..need to learn more. I wonder if TRF would care..if they found out..if I sold some stuff in the camp grounds..LOL 30 dollar bracers beat 50 dollar ones anyday
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

I think you might be addicted to creating! That's very nice work, neatly done and professional looking.