Spears

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Spears

Post by Greg »

I've seen some pics of a few spears, but do we have a general consensus on what would be the ideal spearhead? I'm looking at kultofathena's short spear, but I don't know if anyone has any particular preferences style-wise etc. Thoughts?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have several spears. I'll see if I can get some pics tomarrow, My favorite is a leaf blade from MRL mounted on a haft a little over 6', so the total is a little over 7'. My next fav is a winged spearhear, also from MRL. Hanwei also makes a winged spear but as you'll see in the pics it's very thick compared to the Windlass.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure395.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure396.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure394.jpg

The top two pics show the differences in the Viking Winged Spears, The less ornate is the Windlass and the other is the Hanwei. The thickness of the Hanwei makes it fairly impractical to sharpen.

The bottom pic is a comparison of 4 Windlass, the Hanwei and a Cold Steel Assagi (sp?).

My preference is the Windlass Leafblade 1st, Windlass Winged Viking 2nd, the Windlass diamond profile 3rd, the short semi-winged Windlass (my daughter's) 4th, followed my the Cold Steel, with the Hanwei trailing last.

I've have about another 1/2 dz spears, mostly cut down chisels and a cutdone straight hoe (I consider these homemade ones to be Orc spears) ugly and extremely sharp.[/img]
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Cool spears! I have the Hanwei Viking Throwing spear head and it can do some damage. I fixed it to a pole and the first throw I made went through an old shield blank that I had. Not much good for slicing, but gutting, maybe :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

They all look pretty good. I have never really been a big fan of spears. I understand the the uses and the practicality of carrying a spear (also used as walking staff, weapon, ect.)
Greg

Post by Greg »

I never have been, either, but I figured that it's worth it to invest in one, because you'll never know when you need one. I tried to pitch a modern tarp into a tent setup (discussed earlier in another thread) up near the top of one of the mountains in my area, but all of the scrub brush and bushes were too low to tie my rope for the tent's ridge to (and the nearest trees were halfway back down the hill) so I figured at the least, for longer treks, a spear or staff would be nice as a backup tent pole. Still, I've spent some time practicing with a friend and am steadily becoming fond of them. Sure, there's little romance to be had with the use of the spear or pike as compared to a sword or even a bow, but they're useful as all get out, and my bow isn't heavy enough to be doing significant damage to a mud-armored charging wild boar...especially if I miss.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Celtic warriors of old proved their bravery by hunting wild boars with spears, and do not forget Gil-galad, who's mightiest weapon was the spear Aeglos .

Gil-Galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Spears could be practical in the woods. I have a spear that can easily be removed from the end of the staff. It can stay on my hip when not in use.
The staff could be used for day to day activities but could quickly be converted to a spear when needed.

I use the cold steel bushman as my spear head.
http://www.coldsteel.com/bushmanseries.html
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

KerryTracker you just sold me on a spear. as soon as I opened that link I decided I want one or 10 :D :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Looks nice...it just doesn't look very ME to me. If you could burnish the black coating and/or logo off, I'd feel better about it.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Willrett,
Glad to help. It is a great campcraft knife.

Greg,
You are correct. Taking this to a bench grinder would make it more ME.

I lean more towards practical use over a strict ME influence. I am by no means a purist.

There are some primitive skills folks who refuse to use anything made from metal. They have stone knives and bow made from using these stone tools. What they make is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had that skill and patience.

I feel the same way with all of the amazing beauty I see here on this forum. People are making really stunning tools, weapons, and clothes. I wish I had the patience and skill to add to this.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

KerryTracker wrote:
I lean more towards practical use over a strict ME influence. I am by no means a purist.

There are some primitive skills folks who refuse to use anything made from metal. They have stone knives and bow made from using these stone tools. What they make is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had that skill and patience.

I feel the same way with all of the amazing beauty I see here on this forum. People are making really stunning tools, weapons, and clothes. I wish I had the patience and skill to add to this.
Could not have said it better had I paid a professional. :D :D