Why do U do this?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Oissene
Wayfarer

Why do U do this?

Post by Oissene »

So I was considering my own motivations for Rangering. Lifestyle,skill set,enjoy the woods and practicing woodslore and skills and also recreating.
But "rangers" both in Middle Earth & our own are protectors; of the forests,people ect. They as a group serve..some higher purpose, are altruistic. I know and realize some do this just for heck of it, some to recreate, some just to get out into the trees and there are some (Im sure) who see "Rangering" as a way to serve, in whatever fancy suits. So...Whats your motivation for Rangering?[/i]
watchinglisteningdefending
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Rangering is more free than other forms of reenacting. Where we take Tolkien and other similar tales to use as a basis, we are not forced to live under the guidlines of what is directly history or someone else's interpetation. We interpete, create and get the opinions of others here.

Many reenactors spend so much time insuring their gear is 100% accurate and that they have a good knowledge of a particular battle or time frame, it appears they don't have the time to learn how to actually live in the time period they subscribe to.IMO

We on the other hand are learning how to live with little or make do with what we have or can improvise. We learn new skills everytime we start to work on another piece of garb/equipment or enter the woods. We all have a fondness for living with/in nature and incorporate our other idiosyncrasies into the mix, loseing less of ones' self in the process as we take more of other selves and conform less (if that makes any sense and isn't the rambles of a senile old man).

If it is just rambling, please don't tell me, I want the illusion of being sound for a few more years :roll:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Couldn't have put it better myself, Peter.

Well said!

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well put indeed, Peter! I was remarking to my wife the other day that it was comforting to know that we are not the only ones whose living rooms were filled with Ranger gear in different stages of completion. :D For some of us, we may never make it to the woods, but we still are Rangers in our hearts, and for others, we love making the kits and adding those personal details that, for us, makes what we wear our own. I agree about the reenactment community, sometimes they can really be exclusive, and for people like us, we like to do what we want. I think that for all of us that claim the simple title of "Ranger", it appeals to something deep within us, that need to wander these lands, help those who cannot help themselves, and forever be vigilant, for the Shadow ever seeks to corrupt and diminish the minds of Men, but for all it's efforts, we Rangers still stand, and will evermore...
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Thanks for the intrest in this...motivation is such a personal subject. An ya there are some groups that are so so locked into "realism" that they forget why most folks want to re enact in the 1st place. Rangers , both historicly, in fiction and present day are sort of a specialized oddbunch. Not much support(if any) on their own and considered sort of eccentric by others.We rangers are a nonconforming bunch, thats for sure! I enjoy the woods, like the skills involved and the small group/self suffiency ideal...and the shadow and darkness must be kept at bay....Again thanks for the thoughtful replies.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Historically Rangers have always been outside the box. They were a pivotal role in many wars and won entire battles by their abilities.
Once they do their impossible missions, they fade back into the mists and do not claim the limelight nor the glory.

Rangers can live in dank and dark places that most other people would never go, they can work and play in any location or climate.

Rangering for me is about connecting to the wild places, to Nature and to a brotherhood. It is about learning the skills of Rangering: Patrolling, hunting, herbal lore, awareness and tracking.

The Ranger weapons have always enthralled me: the bow, the staff, the dirk, the sword.

I feel more attached to the Tolkien Ranger than the Army Ranger. I hated attending the Army Ranger School. It was the worst time I had in the service. It wasn't anything like being a Ranger.

The Tolkien Ranger is a deeper, calmer, and more skilled character than the army version. I do feel that the ability to pick up a weapon is a very important skill. The Ranger should be one of the last people to pick up a weapon and use all of the skills in his toolkit to keep peace.

But once that weapon is picked up..... Hell hath no fury as a peaceful warrior pushed to the point where he has to fight........
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Ya, ranger school was so,so much fun!!!HA! Next to SERE school was one military school I would not have ever gone back 2 if I had not passed the 1st time... An thanks for the thoughtful comments.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Let's see.............

Well besides the martial aspect which I was already studying before I stumbled across ME Rangers, There's really two main reasons I got in to this. The first is the reenactment aspect. I wanted to get in to Medieval reenactment but found it very limiting. I tried the SCA but found their combat didn't jell with the Historic combat I was already studying. And I didn't like the social hierarchy element either. I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan. I grew up reading the books and still re read them at least once a year. So a Tolkien reenactment site was a no brainer for me.

The second reason is that I feel this can teach me, through the skill sets necessary for preforming my job as a ranger, to connect with nature in a way that is lacking in our modern society. From identifying medicinal plants to building a shelter to trapping for food, these are things my ancestors had to know to survive and skills we've most definitely lost. I never even thought about trying to make my own pants or primitive archery before any of this. let alone setting out to learn plant and herb identification. I have a very long way to go but am happy I've found this all, and a knowledgeable and patient lot to boot.
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

When I was a kid, I dreamed of running away from home, and living by myself in the woods. Most of us flirted with the daydream at some point. Few, however, actually try it.

I did, and it was one of the most terrifyingly exciting nights of my life.

I ran into the hills which I now set out from on my treks (the Swarthy Person's Settlement and the High and Rocky hill referred to in my signature, which are literal meanings of the modern names of the canyons I set out from) with a box of Bisquik pancake mix, a carton of milk, a water bottle, my 9.5# youth compound bow, three arrows, a sleeping bag, a pocketknife, a flashlight, and a tent.

I thought I was well-prepared. For a fourth-grader (~10 years old), I was quite prepared, relatively speaking.

It was late evening, and mom and dad had gone to bed already. I got on my bike with the heavy load in my school backpack, and rode the short distance to the trail marker, which I locked my bike to. I hiked in a good distance to a place I'd already picked, under a tree I liked to climb. My new home!

I set up my tent by flashlight, and had my first "stunning revelation" of the evening. Of course, wanting to experience every aspect of being on my own as soon as possible, I was planning to make myself some pancakes!

Where's the pan? More importantly...where's the stove?

I figured I'd go back home in the morning, sneak out a frying pan and a campstove, and then I'd come right on back. After all...pancakes are a breakfast food! Silly me.

I rolled out my superman sleeping bag in the tent, and dragged the rest of my gear in after me. It got quiet.

REALLY quiet.

I felt so independent; so self-sufficient. So secretive and daring. But when things get quiet, it's surprising how loud it is. But when you WANT to be quiet, it's INCREDIBLE how loud everything is. The world was in chaos; a unified assault of the sounds of nature at night on my ears. Of course, I started to make excuses for myself to go home. The one that finally tipped me over the edge was how much trouble I was going to be when mom and dad found out. Hadn't occurred to me that being independent includes not having the parental units around, so getting in trouble with my folks was still a very real thing.

I packed up everything, and rode my bike back home. Mom and Dad never heard me come in; I put everything back where it came from, including mom's pancake mix, and got back in bed. It was 11:30.

The next morning, mom made pancakes with a knowing smile. I didn't notice the smile; I was just relieved I had unpacked when I got home. Mom almost NEVER made breakfast; we were a milk and cereal family.

Several years later, Dad told me he sat on the steps and watched me ride away, and waited there until he saw me coming home. "Every kid should try it."

Rangering is, to me, a lifetime of dreaming, lived out in reality. The only thing missing is live combat with a human opponent, but that is the one thing we don't want any of. Training suffices plenty enough for that. Being independent, the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of tracking, the joy of setting up camp and tearing it back down without any trace of having been there, the adrenaline of being close enough to touch someone walking by without them ever knowing anyone is there...that is Rangering to me. I am restricted only by my imagination and my own physical prowess. If I don't shoot my bow for a day, I'll know it. If I don't shoot my bow for a week, the game I hunt will know it. If I can imagine it, I make it a reality, rather than using computer, tabletop, or Live-Action gameplay to simulate skills I wish I had.

Living the dream is something few get to do, but Rangering gives me EVERY opportunity to. Every time I leave the house in my kit, I'm running away from home again, and my Dad is sitting on the front porch for 45 minutes, waiting for me to come home. But during that short time that I'm away, I am living the dream.

I just hope I have the opportunity to sit on front porch and watch my own son ride his bike down the street, so I can smile and say "See you soon."
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Nice,,,Im always impressed by how smart my parents are and when they got that way!
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I have been thinking about what to put since I seen this post, and I have to say its already been said. Anyone the doubts what we do and wanna do should just read this post and they would understand. Its then just ME because I can a bunch of books that helped me decide I wanted to get into this. Its about getting out in the wide and beautiful world. away from all this modern crap. I cant bash technology or you would not be reading this and I would not have a job, however nothing in technology holds a candle to being in the woods alone or with friends enjoying whats around you. No matter if you wear modern cloths and have modern gear or you choose to be period or like me currently a combo of the two, Its great to be out there.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Oissene wrote:Ya, ranger school was so,so much fun!!!HA! Next to SERE school was one military school I would not have ever gone back 2 if I had not passed the 1st time... An thanks for the thoughtful comments.
Oissene,
Yeah, I would say that SERE was a close second. I lucked out and went during the fall harvest. Plenty to eat for a day or so.....

Greg,
Great story. It is a life experience everyone should go through. Everyone has a infatuation with nature as kids. But for some reason as we get older, other things get in the way. Now days the video games and television takes away that innocent exploration of the natural world.

I would guess that a number of us here on this board do the Ranger thing to reconnect with a lost passion.

For me it also connects me with my past generations and my lineage. The Tuatha DaDannan were a Ranger like people here in Ireland 1500 years ago. They had skills that can only be found in myths and stories. I try to read between the lines to see what their lifestyle was really like so long ago.

I have to admit that I have a romantised view of history. Rangering was practised during violent times. It wasn't a Disney style of life. Here in Europe, the Rangering peaked by the 14th century and is now currently a dead science. Back then you had to perfect these skills if you wanted to provide security for your family and your hamlet.

I practise these skills mostly because I enjoy them and it is in my heritage. But a small part of me studies passionately because I feel that there is a small possibility that we will be back to those violent times in the coming years.

Being able to disappear onto the landscape, survive indefinitely, and to provide long term medical care in a low tech environment may become extremely viable skills.

I am not a doomer. I am an optimist. But I also believe that it is important to have skills applicable to many different outcomes.