Axes

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Axes

Post by Mirimaran »

Speaking of axes, here's a nice one for sale from TherionArms:

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c394.html

He's a great guy from Tx whom I've purchased from before, a shield boss a few years ago.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is a great site! did you happen to get a gander at the one peice Trondhiem sword?

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1287.html

I know what's on my Christmas list for next year! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

I believe that for a ranger, it's all about traveling light while at the same time being prepared for almost anything. Therefore, practicality is absolute key. When putting together my kit, I try to look at each item and ask, "how many uses can I get out of this?" Stacking functions is a great way to streamline and ditch excess, less useful weight. I agree that the Cold Steel Trail Hawk or similar is a great tool. Lightweight, compact, useful as a chopping tool (both in constructing shelters, etc AND butchering game), hammer, melee weapon (one of the great things about axes is their hooking ability), throwing weapon -- and it's even useful when cooking. That hooking ability works great on the handle of your stew pot to move it off the fire without burning your hand ;) I think a hammer is better than a spike, since you can still bash something with it, and you're less likely to injure yourself on your own weapon while running and moving about. All in all, when rangering on foot, a 'hawk with a hammer poll is a ridiculously useful thing to have.
That said, if you want to fell a tree, you just can't beat an actual axe. If I were on horseback, I'd definitely have my Gransfors Bruks forest axe with me. Still lightweight, but heavy and long enough to get almost any job done:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produk ... gsyxa.html
GB makes really high quality axes. Check out their hunters axe, too. Makes a great 'hawk substitute. And who would have thought of using the poll for skinning?
For more options besides the Cold Steel 'hawks, Crazy Crow has some great ones, at REALLY great prices. Also awesome buckles and utility knives, just for the record.
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.m ... 42-100-000
Happy Hunting
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

I very recently purchased 2-handed bearded axe from Avery Pierce. This is my second axe from Avery, and I can highly recommend his work. Both are very nice axes, and he is an outstanding man to do business with.

I believe this axe to be ideal for Ranger use. Though I think that it is classed as a small axe, from the below review, it seems very capable of being a primary weapon - and for double-duty as a tool.

Below is the link at Sword Nation Forum to a review of my axe - Swòtnes (Sweetness) :P . I had asked my amigo Paul - Fallschirmjäger - to put the axe through some paces, and to do a review of his impressions. He kindly accepted the job, and I thank him. I decided to share the review here hoping that it might be of interest.

http://swordnation.proboards.com/index. ... 1327517983

Last edited by Alvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Another option for the axes if you don't want to carry a lot of weight, but still want the chopping ability of a two handed tool, would be to take a hawk like the CS Norse hawk, and replace the handle with their 30" handle. The increased length really makes the hawk head work a lot harder, doing the work of a heavier axe with a fraction of the weight. I personally carry a tomahawk...all the time. I have it with me every day, and I use it constantly. I can't remember the last time I hammered a nail in my house with an actual hammer, I just use the hammer poll on my trail hawk.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Alvin, beautiful axe! Congratulations, man!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks like I never posted a pic of my 2nd axe from Avery. I'll have to take a pic and post it in the next few days.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Speaking of Avery, go to the main page and look down !

Welcome Avery !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Alvin wrote:I very recently purchased 2-handed bearded axe from Avery Pierce. This is my second axe from Avery, and I can highly recommend his work. Both are very nice axes, and he is an outstanding man to do business with.

I believe this axe to be ideal for Ranger use. Though I think that it is classed as a small axe, from the below review, it seems very capable of being a primary weapon - and for double-duty as a tool.

Below is the link at Sword Nation Forum to a review of my axe - Swòtnes (Sweetness) :P . I had asked my amigo Paul - Fallschirmjäger - to put the axe through some paces, and to do a review of his impressions. He kindly accepted the job, and I thank him. I decided to share the review here hoping that it might be of interest.

http://swordnation.proboards.com/index. ... 1327517983

Alvin! Awsome axe man! just one question.

Does Avery sell to the public and if so would you give me contact info! (please)
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Thanks kaelin, Ringulf !! I feel fortunate to own Swòtnes !! :P

Ringulf .... Yes, Avery does do commissions. After noting Peter´s welcoming post above, I believe that Avery is a Member here at MER - Avery P.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Peter Remling wrote:Speaking of Avery, go to the main page and look down !

Welcome Avery !
Much appreciated Pete! Hello to Aaron and Alvin, and to anyone else I know here as well. Before yesterday I didn't even know about this forum, but Alvin sent me a link to this page. I'll probably lurk for a bit 'till I get the hang of the forum, etiqeutte, boards and so forth.

@Ringulf - I do indeed sell to the public; if you would like to send me a PM we can discuss what you're after in an axe. I have a couple of orders at the moment I need to get finished, but the waiting shouldn't be too terribly long.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thank you Sir, I am in no particular rush and enjoy the formulative process anyway. I will PM you and we can get some of the planning done at your leisure.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Avery P. wrote: I'll probably lurk for a bit 'till I get the hang of the forum, etiqeutte, boards and so forth.

as far as etiquette goes we like lots of pics and um.... thats the most important :P :P
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Willrett wrote:as far as etiquette goes we like lots of pics and um.... thats the most important :P :P

I can oblige that.

Here's a couple I did last year; ones a tactical style 'hawk, the other a viking that Alvin bought.

Here's a Dane axe combo I did at the end of last year.

I have a slew more, but for now, one last one. The very first axe I made.

If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Ringulf wrote:
So Right now as a ranger, my Bow is primary to my purpose. Check!

How do you think a Dwarven ranger would fight once his bow could not be utilized?
Ringulf ... I also consider the bow and arrow true as my primary to all things of this middle-earth realm ( though my .50 ken-tuc-ee long rifle would certainly be dreamed of and requested to creation from a great wizard friendly to this ranger)
I consider that if a Dwarven ranger could not use his bow, then a great war axe, much like Alvin's new axe 'Swotnes', used in ferocity of purpose first, but with quick access on the person to secondary's, as noted the smaller one hand hawk, also the great knife, also companion to that a similar or slightly smaller, then some strong elven rope or dwarven chain as last ditch garrote and if quiver still arrowed, then the Legalos method of handing by hand the point of shaft to the face of foul foe.
Then again I can envision such a strong Dwarven ranger with a manner of companion short sword, such as the Gen2 Legacy Arms "Knight's Riding Sword" or this LOTR inspired from Stephens Forge,
in tandem with the war axe, and accessory weapons.
Tancave! ... YES :D

My Knight's Riding Sword is middle blade of trio

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone