A Stroll in the Woods

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A Stroll in the Woods

Post by deadextra »

Yesterday a trend of boredom gave way to some fun when myself and Greg went on a bit of an outing into the cold woods of Brown County Indiana.

Even before we stepped past the treeline we were dogged by a creature with the most extraordinary coat, the colors of leaves, shadow, and bark were woven into the threads so that from some distance he may be difficult to spot, even though he made a din which could be heard from far off.

Here we stopped to build a fire and have a bite to eat while the footpad was put to work making a fuzz stick. That pill bottle is just my cheating with matches, I haven't gotten down to a tinderbox on my list yet.

The always enthusiastic Shadow sees no need for a fire when there are sticks to be thrown!

Most of the fuel was somewhat damp from the snow but we kept a little fire lit long enough to warm our bread and cheese!

Fettered to a perch? A mere stick leaned against a tree is no match for Blaze!

This stick is much better.

After Blaze's exercise we did a bit of our own, not pictured is a bit of sparring between the three of us where my companions played with a polearm for the first time.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: A Stroll in the Woods

Post by Willrett »

great pics
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

We had a great time. A young, 13-year-old friend of mine, Shane, has slowly been growing interested in the medieval end of things, so I invited him along to join us and see what it's all about. Obviously, he's been rather steeped in the modern end of stuff for quite some time, so he showed up in his BDU's, not sure what to expect of us. We taught him a few things abnout firemaking, and Deadextra taught him a number of things about dealing with a polearm.

I, myself, have not sparred against a polearm of any kind before (at least, not one wielded by someone who knows his way around one), and I was quickly reminded of a HEMA video on youtube displaying the massive advantage a spear has over sword and buckler. Seeing as how I was weilding an arming sword only, with no off-hand shield or dagger, my hard-learned lesson for the day was to not engage a polearm whenever possible...or to at the very least, get off my hind parts and pick up the quarterstaff and/or spear in earnest. Dead is a great fighter, and I look forward to learning with and from him in the coming months. Who would've thought...two Ranger forum members living a block apart. Quite a setup!

A good time was had by all, I daresay. Blaze performed well, for his part, and flew free, off-leash, despite the stress added by a new location and new people. Much more to come in this place, and from this group.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Looks an exciting stroll.

I didn't know that Ben is skilled with polearms and that polearms are effective vs. swords. o.O I could imagine quarterstaff having an advantage but I would have expected a sword to prevail against a spear-type weapon. Which was involved here and what methods made it so efficient?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

My halberd is six feet long, I am 6'3" tall, I can get a good thrust with my halbard at more than 8' away from my front foot. Greg brought his short training sword, a range of probably under 5'. That's a large deficiency in range which is in the advantage of the polearm. I'm used to fighting against people with big heater shields while using my halberd, with a shield it's easy to charge past the point and then the poleman has to choke up rather quickly and/or do a few quick steps back. That being said I haven't gotten to practice with anything but a pell since fall and I was doing more pokeypokey than I should.

Here's a shot of my halberd.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19219622/100_0650.JPG
In melees I'll use the spur opposite the axe head to pull open shields for spearmen and the hooks of the axe head I've managed to pin a couple spears at once with. (what I am calling spears are two handed affairs, 9' long with just a point) I'll probably be switching to a guisarme before long, halberds are too late for me.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Very nice. I've been a fan of halberds for years. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Though on one side, it's not a halberd, and on the other side, the gentleman was using a buckler in addition to his sword, this will help give you an idea of the advantages pole weapons have over the sword...even when a small shield IS available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RWLxlz ... ature=plcp

Closing the distance is really the key, here. You can't practice/spar with the concept of using your edge to cut off the spear tip, as that would be expensive and not really feasible with wasters, so you can't count on that, really. Getting past the point IS possible and relatively easy, but all your opponent must do is choke up and you'll find yourself running onto a large kabob skewer. Getting close enough for your sword point to reach target usually isn't close enough...you need to get withing wrestling distance and use the bulkier part of your blade. At this range, it's hard to get a spear around into an effective position, since they typically don't have quite the cutting edge that a sword does, making the point the only consistently effective part. With a halberd, it's a little different, as there's an actual blade independent of the point to be aware of. Still, a pronounced swing is required to really do any cutting damage, so closing in to a grappling range effectively limits a halberd's use.

Getting there is the challenge. And with a 26" blade...wish me luck!

All of this just goes to say, for the record, that there's a very good reason why the Rangers were said to be skilled with spear, bow, AND sword.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

I really doubt that cutting at the haft of a spear to sever the head is as easy as that, it's flexible and tough wood which is held in the hands which provides more give. Then a sword isn't designed for chopping wood. I think it'd be something like trying to cut a tree branch several feet away from the trunk. Possible, but not that easy. Then of course, polearms tend to have long sockets and langets which would make such efforts futile until you're a foot or two from the head.

I'd be happy to test this with Greg once we find somewhere that sells ash staves.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:Though on one side, it's not a halberd, and on the other side, the gentleman was using a buckler in addition to his sword, this will help give you an idea of the advantages pole weapons have over the sword...even when a small shield IS available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RWLxlz ... ature=plcp

Closing the distance is really the key, here. You can't practice/spar with the concept of using your edge to cut off the spear tip, as that would be expensive and not really feasible with wasters, so you can't count on that, really. Getting past the point IS possible and relatively easy, but all your opponent must do is choke up and you'll find yourself running onto a large kabob skewer. Getting close enough for your sword point to reach target usually isn't close enough...you need to get withing wrestling distance and use the bulkier part of your blade. At this range, it's hard to get a spear around into an effective position, since they typically don't have quite the cutting edge that a sword does, making the point the only consistently effective part. With a halberd, it's a little different, as there's an actual blade independent of the point to be aware of. Still, a pronounced swing is required to really do any cutting damage, so closing in to a grappling range effectively limits a halberd's use.

Getting there is the challenge. And with a 26" blade...wish me luck!

All of this just goes to say, for the record, that there's a very good reason why the Rangers were said to be skilled with spear, bow, AND sword.
After watching that video, I am now very much afraid of spears. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

deadextra wrote:I really doubt that cutting at the haft of a spear to sever the head is as easy as that, it's flexible and tough wood which is held in the hands which provides more give. Then a sword isn't designed for chopping wood. I think it'd be something like trying to cut a tree branch several feet away from the trunk. Possible, but not that easy. Then of course, polearms tend to have long sockets and langets which would make such efforts futile until you're a foot or two from the head.

I'd be happy to test this with Greg once we find somewhere that sells ash staves.
Sorry...didn't mean to suggest that it would be easy, but rather that even the possibility isn't really feasible to use in a sparring situation. I'd love to test it, either way!
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

No worries, I got your meaning. I'm ready to eat my words if that paragraph doesn't stand up in practice. :P