Indy Moot Spring 2012 - April 13-15th

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Re: Indy Moot Spring 2012 - April 13-15th

Post by Odigan »

Count me in! Might bring along one or two others as well, but we shall see.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

I will be there this time for sure and may bring a friend or two. I'll be in Hobbit Kit I think. Can't wait!!
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Oh I'll be there. Hopefully done with armor and all of my list by then.
Arlyssen Arlussen
Wanderer

Post by Arlyssen Arlussen »

*Sniff Sniff* I totally wish I could go!!!!!!
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Well the state of TN strikes again, i was planning on attending the April moot, but NONE of my vacation bids went through. i was hoping to finally get together with my fellow rangers for a few days of fun,and fellowship. looks like its not meant to be for this year atleast.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sad face.

All the same, Dwayne, we're planning to have more than one this year...we'll cap the end of the summer with another, probably, and then have a fall and winter moot as well. We'll miss you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

i know ive even been talking back and forth with leloop geetin advise on diffrent methods of fire startiing using flint and steel with out char cloth. ( wanted to hone a skill or two before the moot.) and yes youre right well have other oportunities for sure. :)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Less than two weeks to go! I'll have some specific day-of information showing up here shortly for those attending.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hokay, here’s the deal for the day-of:

When you arrive, you’ll be turning off of Valley Branch Road where the following map says “Entrance”.

http://www.explorebrowncounty.com/image ... %20map.pdf

At this point, you’ll want to park next to the big red building marked “Harvest Hall”. Go up to the check-in window and tell them you’re with Greg’s group that is camping for two days in the woods, and you were told you owed $5/night and need to sign a waiver. They should know the deal…if they don’t and I’m not there, have them radio me. I may be tied up with a few last-minute things at work.

After you’re checked in, take your car down to the parking lot shown on the map as “Paintball & ATV Parking.” Odigan, that’s where we parked last time. You all will be leaving your vehicles here for the weekend.

At this point, go ahead and start gearing up, either at your car or in the restroom between cabins 4&5 across the field. Once you’re ready to go, you’re going to follow the main gravel road in the opposite direction of the Harvest hall, marked “to Zip Line, Paintball, & ATV Registration”. Go between the two big ugly ramped trailers and past the paintball fields on either side until you come to the right turn. Turn left onto the secluded grassy area, and wait there. That is where we will all be meeting up and heading out from. You’ll know you’re in the right place because Blaze’s hawk house will be at the far end of the grassy area, and there will be a wood cutting stand with water-filled milk jugs sitting out. If there’s a hold-up, I’m running late, or you show up early, feel free to chat with the other attendees, pull out your sharps, and cut some jugs to pass the time. I should be off by this point, but feel free to entertain yourselves. Blaze is friendly, too…don’t be shy in approaching his house.

Again, the address of this place is:
2620 Valley Branch Rd.
Nashville, IN 47448

Bear in mind, once again, that despite the fact that this place is a campground, we will most definitely not be spending any time there. You will not be swarmed by people during the weekend, but while gearing up or standing around waiting by the hawk house, you may be prey to onlookers. That's just part of a busy weekend out here, but we'll be escaping from it all shortly, so please just put on a smile and humour curious onlookers.

If you expect that you’ll be running late, please let me know so that we don’t leave you behind, or so that I can arrange a time to be present to guide you to our base camp. It won’t be easy to find. My boss is nosy…I planned it that way. Shoot me a PM requesting my cell number if you expect to be late so we can make arrangements.

As for the weekend itself, our five-day forecast is looking rather lovely. There’s a small chance of rain, so be prepared for that. We’re on a freeze-alert overnight the next few days, but the weekend is supposed to sleep us in the mid 50’s and 60’s, reaching high’s in the mid-seventies. It should be glorious weather most of the weekend, with a slight chance of “isolated thunderstorms” on Saturday…which could add some character to our day.

If you have any questions, please speak soon or forever hold your peace. See the first post for a reminder of what to bring.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! It’s going to be a great weekend.

-Greg
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, small recap-time. We doubled our attendance this time 'round from the previous IndyMoot, taking us from two to four, two of us being forum members. The event started out nicely with a cool evening and some time spend round the fire.

The first night provided us with scattered light showers sporadically through the evening, but by Saturday morning, we were sitting in a torrential downpour beneath our canvas tents. An adventure, to be sure. We kept the fires going for the first half of the day before finally calling it quits, but it was an adventure for all of us. The two first-timers are firm believers in canvas as a shelter material now, and are excited about the possibility of giving it another go.

Deadextra took all the photos for the weekend, so I'm sure he'll hop in shortly and load you up with eye candy.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Can't wait to see the pics!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Alright, here we go!
Here's Greg and Lori of course, watching as the first meal of the weekend cooks. For dinner on friday I made a baked potato, added cheese and cured beef.

Here's non-forum member #1, Greg can elaborate on this wood gatherer!

Darkness fell, Greg tends the fire.

I try to look pensive, not realizing my braes are showing XD

The damp morning, trying to stay dry under a partially constructed survival shelter.

Shane and his first breakfast, crackers!

Keeping the fires going through the wet.

Time to make an escape while there's a hole in the clouds.

Shane gets a second breakfast! He and Greg ate a brace of the cornish game hens originally intended for dinner that night. Not pictured, I cooked eggs and ate an apple.

Now what shall we do now the rain's gone? Sparring sounds good!

Ehm.. ahem.. Let's remember headgear next time.

That's all I've got. Better luck with the weather next time!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Great pics! Looks like a good time. I feel like I should move to Indiana.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.