Eclipse like a viking

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Eclipse like a viking

Post by Dailir »

Yesterday I convinced my family to celebrate the eclipse like the Vikings. In Norse mythology it was believed that the evil wolf demon, Skoll, chased the sun and during an eclipse would try to devour it. Following this train of thought the Vikings believed if they yelled and made lots of noise it would scare Skoll away, thereby saving the sun. Following in the same tradition, my family was convinced to dress up and scare away Skoll. Quite a fun experience, and I got to show off my ranger gear to my curious, and somewhat frightened, neighbors. :)
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Eclipse like a viking

Post by Manveruon »

Pic/vid??? :D
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

That sounds like a fun experience! I would also be interested in pictures or a video.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I bet that was fun! You are in good company, I believe that the Professor himself enjoyed freaking out his neighbors from time to time. Keeps them off-guard :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes! And in the SCA we try and get out to resteraunts and period themed movies and such in our garb as well, We call it "Freaking the Mundanes" it is a lot of fun but better done in groups unless you want the men in the little white jackets to take you for a ride! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Back home, we call that "Maaooyip"ing.

Making an ass out of yourself in public. Second favorite hobby!

The Skoll thing sounds fun! Pics would be great next time 'round, unless of course, you happen to have some now!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

hehe we've driven to events in garb, and have stopped at gas stations to fill up and get funny looks, but we don't care. hehe And we've stopped to eat in garb after an event plenty of times.. people either stare or ask questions.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Generally drive to the renfair in partial garb and tack on the blades and accessories once there.

Back when I was in the SCA, a group of us went to a bar in garb afterward. Only one mundane said anything and he just asked us if we were in a play.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, yeah. They ALWAYS ask if you're in a play. It's like, "do you really think folks in plays tend to keep their costumes on afterwards and go out drinking?"
Last edited by Manveruon on Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Lol, I've never been asked if I was in a play, but I have gotten plenty of strange looks. Little kids always come up and talk to me though, it's fun!

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Have you ever noticed, that for the most part, garb is more comfortable than mundane clothing? :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Damn well better be with the amount of time we spend making it! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'll be honest - pretty much all of my garb is uncomfortable in some capacity :/
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Peter Remling wrote:Generally drive to the renfair in partial garb and tack on the blades and accessories once there.

Back when I was in the SCA, a group of us went to a bar in garb afterward. Only one mundane said anything and he just asked us if we were in a play.
I think the best response is the one my friend gave at the restaurant the last time we got that question. She answered with a straight face "No. Why?"
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.