Handmade Leather Quiver and Hickory Bow

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Grimble Grumble
Wayfarer

Handmade Leather Quiver and Hickory Bow

Post by Grimble Grumble »

These projects are a big reason I haven't posted in a while. They can be very time consuming.

The quiver is made from thick cowhide without using a pattern.

The hickory bow was made with only hand tools, primarily with a drawknife. It is still a little too high poundage but it works nicely.
I used The Traditonal Bowyer's Bible as a reference.
Bowmaking is by far the hardest craft I have attempted so far. I would not recommend it to anyone that has not thoroughly researched it.

I'm in the process of crafting some primitive arrows as well. I am having difficult finding reasonably priced arrowheads so I may cut them out of sheetmetal.

The road goes ever on and on....
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Handmade Leather Quiver and Hickory Bow

Post by Mirimaran »

I really like your quiver! Looks great, as does the bow!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Wow! You're on a roll!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I love both, they look great. great job
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Very nice!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well done! I LOVE pinched bottoms on quivers. It goes a long way towards holding them all still, quietly instead of allowing them to rattle around everywhere. Bravo.

So, the next question is...with all these new toys, when can we expect to see a pic involving the whole shebang, to date, at once?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love it! Those came out fantastic!

Any chance you might be persuaded to give a simple run-down on the construction of the quiver? Did you use some kind of ring in the top to keep the opening circular? All hand-stitched, I take it?

Also, the bow looks excellent. I really want to try making one, but the process has been daunting me, because I know of several people who have described it as being quite difficult.

And as always, more pics! :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Grimble Grumble
Wayfarer

Post by Grimble Grumble »

All hand stitched. No wire at the top; just tightly folded and stitched. The thickness of the leather makes it round. The back seam was sewn by punching holes and threading a leather lace through it. The pinched bottom has an extra strip of leather in the middleso the arrows rest on the leather rather than possibly cutting the thread. The seam second to the bottom is not sewn all the way through, just in a circle; only the bottommost seam is sewn through to make the shape more fluid. That bottom seam was quite an undertaking.
The road goes ever on and on....
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Nice! Great info! Thanks!

And yeah, I understand what you mean about the bottom seam. The bottom-most seam on my own quiver was a total monster, and in the end I kinda' bungled the stitching a bit. Luckily no one has called me out on it yet though, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains