Recent projects from MacKermak Keep

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Recent projects from MacKermak Keep

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice !
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

The scabbard only had the raven on it when he left here to go back to TX hehe.. I do love the additions he did to it.

And of course I had to put in my request for MY bottle hehehe

He has learned that if he makes stuff too good... he better make me one too!! LOL

oh and Erich.. you KNOW as soon as Theodred sees that.. he will want one.. so might as well make one now... his birthday is coming in 4 months!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I like that sheath. celtic designs can be tricky. Yours looks great.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Since I can't get pics uploaded, the pics of my recent work are on my FB page: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 714&type=3
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Excellent work! I need to find a source of brass for the folded top ridge for some of the seaxes I am working on.

What guage or thickness is yours?

What tools do you use to work the pattern in?

Again beautiful work man! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The brass is .032 thick brass sheet that I get from Hobby Lobby (most model train shops sell it too). Since it was my first attempt, I used a simple cold chisel and a nail setter punch. I am currently working on expanding my tool selection. The basic shapes were cut with snips, then filed, tooled, then folded (which is the hardest part).

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:I need to find a source of brass for the folded top ridge for some of the seaxes I am working on.
Hobby lobby, like he said, carries it. If you have an Ace Hardware or other true hobby shop, look for a K&S Metals Station, which usually carries brass, copper, and Aluminum tubing and sheets, in a little booth like this:

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hmmm I have a hobby lobby here in daytona which I frequent, but I don't recall seeing that...I will have to go look.

SAFARI! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It would most likely be around the model trains/planes/etc. If you have a hobby shop that deals in RC cars/planes, etc., you're more likely to find them.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.