Some of my gear.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Some of my gear.

Post by Eledhwen »

Some of my kit; most of this is commercially obtained. I made the bracers there a long time ago for something else entirely, and the knife is the first one I forged myself. The arrow shafts are dyed but still need finishing; I'll add to this series of pics with other stuff as I go along.

Siani

Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Some of my gear.

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking good, do you have a scabbard for the knife ? I recently picked up one of the Del Tin Glamdrings from Ebay, yours is in much nicer shape.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Scabbards for the knife and for Glamdring are in progress; I'm doing them from wood lined with wool and eventually they'll be covered with leather.

The Del Tin Glamdring is a decent sword. The steel they use today is of better quality on the whole, but these blades are still pretty decent. I really like the lines of the weapon. I got this one back when Museum Replicas sold them..oh, '88 I think, possibly '89. I've taken pretty good care of it, or tried to. :)

I've an Orcrist blade that I have to make quillions, pommel, and grip for, one of these days.

Siani
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Nice cant wait until I can start getting my kit going. I really like the sword and the horse bow.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

one question though,
is the elvish hunting knife youre own creation? it looks very good actualy.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yes, the hunting knife is my own creation; it is the first knife I forged after beginning bladesmithing classes with my Master, who is also my blacksmithing teacher. I say 'is' because I still learn from him and probably always will. He supervised the making of this blade, it being my first one. Still in the shop is a tomahawk head I have to finish and some wood carving blades that also need finishing.

This is my own version of an Elven hunting knife, obviously derived from Aragorn's but I tend to like graceful curves and have an eye for them. It's rather plain but I'm inordinately happy with it as it is my first. :) It bears an uncanny similarity in lines to the letter opener I did before that. Gee, wonder why? ;)

Thank you for the compliment.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great gear Siani! I love that knife!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I found it amusing that people who saw that knife almost always preferred it to the actual one Aragorn had, especially women. As it is I have a list of people who have asked me for their own knives of that sort.

The next project in bladesmithing (after knives) is usually a cutlass, at least as my teacher sets it up..but mine is to be one of the Elven two handed blades. I don't get a lot of time in the forge these days though and my own (completely hand and foot driven) is in storage as I live in an apartment now, so making this stuff takes a looooooooooooooooooooong time these days. *sigh* Hopefully, before I cross the Veil, I'll get a chance to do a sword similar to the Glamdring blade I have. One hopes.

Thanks!

Siani
Nandalad!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Nice stuff. I REALLY like the knife. Where did you draw your influence from? It looks a little like a Philippine bolo. And the bow is a Hun horsebow?
Winter is coming
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The knife idea came from Aragorn's Elven Hunting Knife. I have the book on the weapons of Middle Earth and it has a picture of that knife. I simply decided to make it, in my own mind, *more* Elvish by changing the lines and making it with more flowing curves. My Master and I drew an sketch and then off I went...and this was the result. While it varies from the sketch rather markedly the general idea is there and I loved this far better than the original idea.

Pretty much every blade I've made, of any type, has been close to the original design but varies from it...and so far in ways that I really like. I tend not to look at the sketches when working and go with what seems pleasing to my eye. Probably a bad habit but so far so good. I can only speculate on how the swords will vary. O-o

The horsebow is a Magyar 50# draw. I got if via Kult of Athena as it was relatively inexpensive and I wasn't sure if I'd like a horsebow or not. Having shot it...I fell in love with it. So I'm saving for a Saluki although I may go for the Scythian model; time enough to sort that out when I have the funds sorted for it. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Not a bad habit at all, actualy to me that show a strong artistic instinct. i am deeply impressed with the fact you forged youre own weapon. that in it's self is an extreemly rare skill. keep it up!!! :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Very cool set, I am excited to start setting up my gear and your kit has re-inspired me! We just moved, so everything is in disarray, but if you ever get bored enough to come to oregon, I have a coal forge, a coke forge, and a gas forge, and they all want attention, would love to trade bladesmith/blacksmith tidbits, always good to teach/learn from someone new! Keep it up!
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Good stuff!

I am only a pair of boots away from having my kit complete and I will have them done in the next few weeks!

I should really post my stuff huh?
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sinai, what brand/model of horsebow is that? I've been looking to upgrade, but I need a 48"-er, and I've gotten mixed feelings on reviews from ALL brands except Saluki. I know yours isn't that short, but could you give me a quick run through on its performance? How does it compare to modern recurves and the like performance-wise, if you've shot any? How's the speed and cast? Is it smooth?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Bearing in mind it is very much an economy bow, it's 56" long when strung, quite light in the hand and no finger pinch in the draw. It's 50# draw but it draws very smoothly and easily.

I have no idea who the actual maker is; probably Kassai or similar as I got it via Kult of Athena. Their advert says they are hand crafted in Hungary, for what that is worth. It's wood and fiberglass with horn inserts in the siyahs. I've shot it at one event so far and I really enjoyed the experience.

However, I know it is an economy bow; that's one reason I got it. Inexpensive, relatively speaking, and reasonable to find out if I'd like a horsebow. I also have thier Scythian, which has a slight twist in one limb and is even shorter. My lass has the Turkish bow in 35# and its even smaller and trickier to string.

The result is that I liked the action of the bow so much I'm saving for a Saluki; probably his Scythian model. I want a high quality bow though so Saluki is what I am after; in the meantime, this Magyar will do.

I liked the horsebow much better than my D section longbow. And its shorter..for the brushy woods of New England, smaller is better.

Hope that helps.

Siani
Nandalad!