The Children of Hurin

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

The Children of Hurin

Post by caedmon »

I'm reading 'The Children of Hurin'. Well I'm listening to the audiobook. And I'm glad of that.

It feels a lot like Beowulf. That is a story intended for recitation in front of the fire of an open hearth, which happened to be written down.

Anyway I figured I'd open a post on the story of Turin, especially since much of this story revolvels around Rangerish activities...
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: The Children of Hurin

Post by Ringulf »

I would love to find an audio version of that to listen to. I have the book but have so much on my reading list already that I won't be able to do anything with that title for a while.
However if I were to listen to it read while crafting, I could be "multitasking" (shshsh that is a bad word! The only multitasking I can do is reading in the bathroom) and get to enjoy it and be productive at the same time!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That is a great idea, friend Ringulf! I agree with Caedmon, I think that it would be much better told around the fire, as it were, to being read. Sometimes that oral tradition is needed, forging another link in the chain that connects us to our ancestors.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ringulf; I got it on Audible http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?as ... 359&sr=1-1

The reader is Christopher Lee, and his voice is awesome.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Great book, really really enjoyed it. Talking of audiobooks, does anyone know where I can get The Lord of the Rings as a cheap audiobook?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks Caedmon I have it saved and will grab it the first chance I get! It must be rather long though, I did not see the total length, but I suppose it is not one that can just be downloaded.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Children of Hurin was and is, absolutely spectacular. Definitely agree on the oral tradition.

Lots of good kit references all throughout. I was always intrigued by the reference to a unique type of Dwarves (the name of which escapes me) which shared a home with Turin and his company for awhile. Thoughts?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You fan the flames of my interest good sir I will have to check that out! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Children of Hurin was and is, absolutely spectacular. Definitely agree on the oral tradition.

Lots of good kit references all throughout. I was always intrigued by the reference to a unique type of Dwarves (the name of which escapes me) which shared a home with Turin and his company for awhile. Thoughts?

I love the book, too, although like a lot of Norse sagas, it's kind of dark and depressing.

He mentions Mim the Petty Dwarf. Keep in mind that he didn't mean that they were the kind of Dwarves who didn't want to split the bill at Denny's equally, since you had a Coke and they just had water; "Petty" comes from the French 'petit,' and they are meant to be smaller than regular Dwarves.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

The beautifullest tragedy I've ever read. Makes me cry every time.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

A must read for all fans.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.