Throwing axes and the like...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Throwing axes and the like...

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Since we have been discussing throwing axes and knives, I thought it would be fun if we could show our favorite throwing weapon of choice. Here's mine, I got it a few years back at the Highland Games, not sure what style it is, but I do use it as a tool, no orc skulls cracked...yet.

Anyone else?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Fox
Dúnadan

Re: Throwing axes and the like...

Post by Fox »

Nice hawk, Ken. Unfortunately, mine is packed away in a storage unit with all of my Ranger equipment and most of my books. Anyway here is a photo of it:

I have de-shined it since this photo, so that it's now a dull gray. I haven't tried to throw it.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

Cold steel frontier hawk. Fun to throw and chops surprisingly well for such a little axe. The cat on the other hand falls under the same category as dwarfs as far as tossing goes...
Attachments
nova axe.jpg
nova axe.jpg (167.34 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

All axes... I personally prefer a javelin. While not as multi-purpose as an axe, I think they work a lot better for throwing in a combat situation, where the enemy is at a constantly varying distance. Ones of this calibre (see below) or heavier do an excellent job at armour penetration, and can double as a short spear if need be.
I've never got round to understanding how a throwing axe or knife would work effectively in combat with all that spin; if there's a particular way, do elaborate.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Shadowhawk wrote:Cold steel frontier hawk. Fun to throw and chops surprisingly well for such a little axe. The cat on the other hand falls under the same category as dwarfs as far as tossing goes...

Throw the axe not the cat! Throw the axe not the cat!!! :shock:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Axes are for tossing, cats are for juggling !

If you're one of the few that get that reference, you're either old or a Steve Martin fan. :D
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Both! (unfortunately!) :mrgreen:

"Light the lamp not the rat, light the lamp not the rat!"~Muppet Christmas Carrol
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Avery P. »

Well, here is a pic of my collection from awhile back.

All are factory except of the double bit.

Also, there are these that I've made.

Dane hand axe

A horsemans axe that Pete has now. It was fun to throw...

A hybird that was a darned good thrower.

I put a fawns foot handle on that one and it actually worked out great.

I did this one as a straight thrower and it turned out really well. Light throws gave good impact.

Also, there is this one I forgot to mention. I didn't make it, but it's a good thrower.

Now this one takes second place for my preferred thrower. A hammerpoll camp axe I did just for me.

But the title goes to the one second from the left in this photo. I've used it in just about every competition I won first place in. It's always there for me with a thin blade and weight behind to deliver a good stick. It's a helluva axe.

If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Took me a while to get around to it. Here are my two favorite hawks, the top and oldest I purchased in 79 and happens to be the same model, that's Avery's favorite. The other axe is my newest and is a limited SBG edition from Butch Silver. I have a few others, but these are my favorites.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 4b7b7b.jpg
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Dirhael wrote:All axes... I personally prefer a javelin. While not as multi-purpose as an axe, I think they work a lot better for throwing in a combat situation, where the enemy is at a constantly varying distance. Ones of this calibre (see below) or heavier do an excellent job at armour penetration, and can double as a short spear if need be.
I've never got round to understanding how a throwing axe or knife would work effectively in combat with all that spin; if there's a particular way, do elaborate.

There's a place north of Indianapolis called Conner's Prairie. It has a lot of historical buildings and actors in period costume. My wife and I went and there was an older Native American man showing how to throw a hatchet, splitting playing cards tacked to a slice of a tree stump. I have never thrown an axe or hatchet before. The technique he showed me has the hatchet leave your hand not spinning at all, but with the sharpened edge flying at the target. I split a card on the first try. My wife captured the look on the old guy's face- pure surprise. He said he had been doing this for years and never had anyone actually 'get it' like that.

However, I have seen folks on TV throw axes or hatchets that spin, and I don't see how you could predict it properly so that the cutting edge hits the target properly.

I live your javelins; one of the design disappointments for me in the "Lord of the Rings" films was that they didn't understand battle spears at all, and turned Gil-Galad's spear into a long-handled sword or glaive of some sort.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál