deer meat

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Its blood thinning attributes are minimal enough that its worth the healing agents it provides. Digestive health, specifically small and large intestines, benifits from the garlic's capacity to keep the bad bacterias at bay. If you're feeling like a cold is coming on in torso(excluding lungs) than swollow a clove of garlic. It will give you terrible gas but it destroys the cold before it starts.

Antibacterial, antomicrobal, digestive health, antifungal, anti-parasite, nutrients.

I think Garlic wins.:-P

Back in the time of Genghis Khan the Korean's were refered to as "garlic eaters" because they put it in everything:-P
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yeah? YEAH!!!??? Well. . . Pork tastes good! Especially when it is cooked properly on a grill.

Only problem is that it isn't traced to ANY benificial effects in the body that I know of. :( Except maybe for the prevention of starvation.

But deer meat is quite good too, I'm finding.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric C wrote:Yeah? YEAH!!!??? Well. . . Pork tastes good! Especially when it is cooked properly on a grill.

Only problem is that it isn't traced to ANY benificial effects in the body that I know of.
Not everything has to be good for the body, there is the soul too.

I'm with Eric, pork is good, to coin a phase, "no matter how you slice it".
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

Eric C wrote:Yeah? YEAH!!!??? Well. . . Pork tastes good! Especially when it is cooked properly on a grill.

Only problem is that it isn't traced to ANY benificial effects in the body that I know of. :( Except maybe for the prevention of starvation.

But deer meat is quite good too, I'm finding.
Eric,

My understanding is that pork taken in the wild is quite healthy to eat. I'd love to hunt and eat some wild boar, myself.
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Hehe.

It is true though, the negative qualities of pork we know today are based on domesticateed pigs. Wild boar is supposed to be pretty good meat. Much leaner then grocery store piggggs.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

We have a show on public television here that talks about what farmers are doing across the US. They did a story on a place that is raising "free-range" pigs. I think the place is in South Carolina, but I'm not certain. If I remember correctly, the meat didn't even look like the pork you buy out of the store. They talked about the fat content and how it was so much better than your usual domesticated pork. I'd like to catch that show on a rerun.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I haven't thought of a rub! That's an idea. I'm still thinking up a good recipe for jerky. I am going to the mountains to learn under an accomplished blacksmith next weekend and I would like to take some jerky with me. I was told that a ready-made seasoning mix would work well. I'm thinking of blending A-1 steak sause with whatever mixture I use. I may check a couple of cookbooks we have around here and see if anything in them would look good as a mixture for the jerky.
But of course I'm open to suggestions here too. Even if I can't use it, it is a good opportunity to share what we know.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Eric, I would LOVE to try some legit pork that wasn't from chubby pigs stuffed with cornmeal and hormones trapped in a 5x5ft area. Let me know if you get any specifics:)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I certainly will.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm down with a cold today, so I'm just cruising the net. I finally remembered to look up the show I mentioned above. The website for the place is www.cawcawcreek.com/ It is in South Carolina. The hogs are mostly left alone to do what pigs normally do. But you can see more on the website. The prices may be pretty high, but then again anything that isn't mass produced is going to cost a bit more. I'm going into a week-on-week-off schedule at work, but if I can get the finances around that minefield, I may see about ordering from them.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: deer meat

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I may be too late..but I wanted to throw this in... I like to smoke the meat, this isnt a bit complicated and you dont need a fancy smoke house to do it. I smoke meat in the same way I smoke the hides it came in :lol: with three poles and tarp, kinda like a teepee. Before I set up I dig a small hole about 18" in the ground and get my chips/sawdust smoldering then hang the meat on one of the poles and wrap the tarp around it. I like to use hickory chips and sawdust, but I've experimented with oak and yellow locust and it tasted fine to me.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Re: deer meat

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, I actually still have some meat, and I hope to have more if I can get the safety course out of the way before hunting season. I'll have to try smoking some to see how it turns out.