arrow heads

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

willmc349
Wayfarer

arrow heads

Post by willmc349 »

So I need some good quality arrow heads, and I was wondering if any you know a good place?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: arrow heads

Post by Peter Remling »

What type, modern, traditional, hunting, bodkins ?
willmc349
Wayfarer

Post by willmc349 »

What do you mean by traditional?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

willmc349 wrote:What do you mean by traditional?
By traditional I mean, early styles of arrowheads and if you want hand forged. Arrows were tools and each arrow head type was designed for a specific purpose. There were bodkins (for piercing armor) cresent moons (For cutting rigging on ships), hunting (sharps and blunts) and target to name a few.

Modern are those machined today, generally only target, field, hunting, blunts and fishing.
willmc349
Wayfarer

Post by willmc349 »

I think, I would like bodkins and hunting arrowheads.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Check your state for any restrictions on arrowhead types for hunting. Some places have a minimum width. Check out Three Rivers Archery...they do have medieval style heads there, as well as modern. My own hunting broadheads are largely double edged heads of modern make but they look a lot like many medieval sorts. I also have swallow tail type hunting heads, much heavier, and those are in fact banned in some areas.

All of this assumes you plan to actually hunt with them. If they are for show or target use, the sky is the limit.

Check the grain weight of the heads you like; not all of them come in all ranges of weight.

You probably already know much of this but repetition is harmless and costs nothing.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!