A fine new friend

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

A fine new friend

Post by Jon »

Hooray!!

So yesterday we picked up Pippin from the rescue centre.
He's an 18 month Kelpie Collie cross, and is absolutely beautiful.

I've got some photos of him here, but none of them can really do him justice! His coat is really interesting (though not that obvious from the photos). He's mainly grey, but has a darker black streak down his back. Brown flanks, vaguely mottled with black. White toes and belly, and light grey legs. Perfect colours for roaming the woods!! :)
As you can see from the third photo he looks fairly similar to a mini wolf.

He's a bit of a naughty lad at the moment, and doesn't know his name, but we've only had him for a day and he is already learning fast (like real fast - he's so far appearing very intelligent). As you can guess from his breed cross, he has a lot of energy, but settles down ok after his exercise.

So yea, a lot of work needs to be put in. But I'm sure he'll make a great companion, especially for ranger-type activities. He's terribly afraid of water at the moment too (I've had to carry him over streams), but we're working on it. He'll hopefully be doing the Pennine Way with me this coming year, so making sure he stays fit is a priority!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: A fine new friend

Post by Ringulf »

Wonderful! you realy chose a great dog and I know you two will become a great team. Bon Chance mon ami, et votre chien ausi! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What a handsome dog! The best thing you can do is to create a bond of trust, treat him when he does what you want him to and call his name often!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Now, that dog looks like a best friend in-the-making! Congratulations!
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

GREAT name!

I often wonder if the world wouldn't be a better place if we were more like dogs...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Good looking pup. He looks like he'll make a great partner. Congratulations to the both of you.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Congratulations, and have a great time!

I will always claim this: There's no one more capable of being my best friend than my dog, equally as there's no one more capable of being the love of my life than my daughter. All that being said, no one is more capable of being both at once than my wife.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.