More Seaxes from PJ & Co.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

More Seaxes from PJ & Co.

Post by Manveruon »

Saw this pop up on Facebook. It would appear that the designers for the Hobbit movies have decided they REALLY like seaxes, because even the Elves are getting them in the next movie!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: More Seaxes from PJ & Co.

Post by Ringulf »

Hey! an Elven "Santo"!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eh. A little too "X-Men" for my tastes. Would've preferred something closer to Legolas's. Meh, can't win 'em all.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

If I let myself get nit-picky, I would have to say that I feel rather disappointed in nearly all the new costumes and weapons from the Hobbit films so far. Rather than taking cues from historical models, with elements of fantasy thrown in, it feels like this time around they're just going full-on Dungeons and Dragons with it.

Still, there is some really cool stuff as well, but overall I just feel like most of it has a sort of "fake" feel that the originals didn't.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes I agree. A bit more fantasy story book feel to all of it, almost like they were trying to capture the more juvinile audience the book was written for...hey...wait you mean Professor Tolkien didn't write for a discriminating mature fan base? Damn...whooda thunk? :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I don't care for them myself, or for most of the Dwarven weaponry. If you look at the art and design book, I think there were better ideas that never made it off the page. Pity, but more for us to try and recreate.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpe ... hobbit+art

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I don't care for them either. I think the leaf and branch elements of elven weaponry were just fine; no need to blend them with Norse work. I've become a lot less enamored of PJs 'The Hobbit' as time has passed.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Interestingly, I don't actually dislike the design itself, it's more the construction I'm not pleased with. They just sort of look... I dunno, too chunky? And overall, kinda' fake. The cutouts in the bade are a bit much for my tastes too, but they would have been easier for me to swallow if it looked in any way hand-crafted. I've seen some really amazing openwork in blades by talented smiths, but these just scream "we're made of resin" to me in a way that Legolas' daggers never did.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Very few of PJ's arms & armour designs have made me happy. I did like much of the Rohirrim stuff, but the rest was either merely tolerable (Narsil/Anduril, Glamdring, Sting) or atrocious, as with the above example.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I like the design....wonder if they were made by the same weaponsmith from the first movies?
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Manveruon wrote:If I let myself get nit-picky, I would have to say that I feel rather disappointed in nearly all the new costumes and weapons from the Hobbit films so far. Rather than taking cues from historical models, with elements of fantasy thrown in, it feels like this time around they're just going full-on Dungeons and Dragons with it.

Still, there is some really cool stuff as well, but overall I just feel like most of it has a sort of "fake" feel that the originals didn't.
I agree completely. Bilbo and Gandalf's clothing and equipment are the only things I like, and feel are in keeping with the book.
You can't take the sky from me.