Patrol into Rhûn

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Patrol into Rhûn

Post by deadextra »

A slow decrease in activity in the East begged some attention from the men of Dale so a scouting patrol is sent into flats to discern their disposition.

Following the water and searching for traces of troop movement was fruitless.

A ruined settlement on a bluff, usually showing some activity because of the remaining well and shelter was also quiet.

Nothing to report but dust and heat. I recommend a larger expedition be sent to discover if this is a true weakness or preparation for an offensive into the west.

Done with that stuff, now it's up to you all to guess where I've been this last month!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Patrol into Rhûn

Post by Manveruon »

Looks a bit like my neck of the woods...

Great pictures, incidentally!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Great photos. Color me green with envy.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It could also be parts of Ohio oBTWr western Pa.

Great shots
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

First was right, naturally. These were taken in the grasslands of Colorado and was one place I visited while on a 3500 mile road trip that way. I've got nearly everything now, just gotta wait for my ceramics and axe to arrive and then I'll just be improving items.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! I thought so! Very cool! What part of the state was it exactly?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Comanche National Grasslands, down in a few canyons. It was a great place to hike, I had a whole day there but I could have spent a week hiking.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Excellent pictures. Looks like you had a great time exploring!
You can't take the sky from me.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

So cool... Love the kit as it is, can't wait until you "improve" it!

Where I am am is much, much DEEPER into Rhun, or possible Far Harad?

High desert in the Sierra Nevada? What part of M.E. would it be akin to, do you think? Aside from the fringes of Mordor...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I thought the terrain very familiar myself, I spent a bit of time out there in my youth. I was transported to the area east of the Celduin and south of the Iron Hills where many of my kin still reside, a wild and sparse land to be sure!

Deadextra, I love what you have done with your kit you look so very authentic as a man at arms from Dale! You add another dimension of realism to our forum with such a persona, truly.

If I were to switch gears into "SCA mode" I could just as easily see you walking the plains about Lombardy or the many locations filmed in Italy for the "Spagetti westerns". Those areas looks so much like the american west as well.

Well done and I hope you enjoyed your Western Ramble! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Well Rhun is well off to the north of Mordor, it's just bordering Dale which is why it worked for this scenario. I think the Sierra Nevadas could pass for the Iron Mountains. I'm not very familiar with the terrain up there, you can decide for yourself what it seems the most like.

Thanks Ringulf, I have a lot of fun with it. I dream of having an all matching encampment but I imagine I'd have to visit Europe for that.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

deadextra wrote:Well Rhun is well off to the north of Mordor, it's just bordering Dale which is why it worked for this scenario. I think the Sierra Nevadas could pass for the Iron Mountains. I'm not very familiar with the terrain up there, you can decide for yourself what it seems the most like.

Thanks Ringulf, I have a lot of fun with it. I dream of having an all matching encampment but I imagine I'd have to visit Europe for that.
The French group were were put into contact with a few months ago are doing a great job of having several members kitted out in idential Gondorian guard garb. Apparently, they're looking into someone who can do matching winged helms for them.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would have no problem doing them in leather, but I am not quite geared up yet for the metal version. It would not be very difficult if they were to select a Norman helm or something simular to modify, and if they were to do it in 18 guage there are quite a few out there already that are not bad at all.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Inside the helmet, is there a webbing or anything to sit down on the head, or does the head wrap/arming cap (feel free to correct my terminology) work to make the helmet comfortable?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Typically (correct me if I'm wrong) a period example would have an arming cap closest to the head, and then the space between helmet and head was filled with a ropelike twist/braid of horsehair, which ran around the head, forming a gap-creating barrier, and suspending the helmet away from the head. Much like to (in function) the webbing suspension system that I believe you're thinking of that has been found in Modern Military helmets including, I'm sure, the one you once wore.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.