Wes Hal!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Wes Hal!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Truth be told I was more hoping no one wouldnt hold Pete being my friend against *him*. I was registered on MyArmoury for awhile but lost my password and never bothered to re-register, I'm still registered @ SFI. Thank you for the kind welcome.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Greg wrote:Don't use David as a standard to reach unless you feel up for losing yourself to the books for a few years. He's a linguist by nature.
Aw shucks, Greg... :oops:

It's more like knowing where a few good websites are for researching sindarin, quenya, and tengwar...and loving to learn foreign languages- except French XP
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

David wrote:...and loving to learn foreign languages- except French XP
I rest my case.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

My first brush with foreign languages was when I discovered "mi esposo" meant my husband in spanish. I was asking her out and she introduced me to her husband. Always an awkward situation, that :lol:

I decided to stick with my ancestral Old Norse and Anglo-Saxon. I'm not fluent by any means but I still love those two languages.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Very good choices, although I've stayed with more modern languages (being Spanish and German), but I'd love to learn Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon, and/or Latin!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

David,

Stephen Pollingtons book: 'First Steps in Old English' is a great introduction to A/S, This book alone will get you more or less conversational. Considering you are already a gifted linguist this book may get you fluent. Currently I do fair reading/translating A/S but I run into trouble actually speaking it.

I've also taught myself...to a point...The Anglo-Saxon runes again leaning heavily on Stephen Pollingtons 'Rudiments of Runelore'. However I differ from most wannabe rune readers in that I'm interested in runes mainly as a system of writing, not magick*. With the later Anglo-Saxon staves being my primary focus, as they are more adaptable to Modern English.

* If I cant get what I want/need with hard work or honest battle ...I dont figure it was fated for me to have anyway :lol:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~