speaking of mugs....

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

speaking of mugs....

Post by Ringulf »

I just got done with a fun project. I had to make a mug for a Thrown Weapons award for our last Moot.
I was thinking about doing a costrel somewhat like the ones I have been working on for Ceadmon...

(yes I am STILL working on them, though I am almost done with the third and final piece. Sorry brother it has been just about a year now and I will get it finished before thanksgiving if it is the last thing I do!!!)

Anyway the costrl project has taught me some valuable skills and given me some cool ideas, one of which was this mug project.
The mug is kind of just a leather costrel with one end you dont have to sew on, and I have been thinking how cool it would be to make them look like little barrels so I did the mug this way to experiment with the technique and this is how it came out.

I used the same 7-8 oz leather and made it the same diameter around the coffee can end caps as I did with the costrels but I made the mouth slightly smaller to give a more tapered "Tankard" look to it. Then to make it resound the Thrown weapons theme, I made the handle look like one of my bearded throwing axes.
The axe handle is wood and the axe head is leather. it is sewn on the top like it bit into the wood and it is screwed in on a flattened face at the bottom of the haft.
I made it the perfect size to contain a solo cup but purchased the "Pour-On" food grade epoxy sealant to seal it with.

I stopped short of this part of the project both because I was not completely certain if the stuff was food grade since the box I picked up did not specifically say so, and because I ended up winning the damn thing myself anyway, so the pressure was off.
I will do some more research before I coat it, but it is supposed to be great for this type of application because you can then use both hot liquids and alchoholic beverages in it as well.

So here you go!

You have heard of the Oscar and the Tony...this is the "Ringulf" (what they named it in the Kingdom. hee hee)

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: speaking of mugs....

Post by Peter Remling »

Truly amazing...........Now I can drink and shave at the same time ! :)

Very unique design, as usual, you come up with the most interesting ideas and your execution is always first rate.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

You are too talented for your own good ; ) . What a wonderful, whismical design executed, as always, to the highest level of craftsmanship.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That thing is AWESOME!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

That is freakin fantatic. How do you come up with all those wonderful creations?
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Wow! Your work never ceases to amaze, friend! Very unique, and well done!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

You could sell these for metric tons of cash. Just saying. Once again, so, sooooo wickedly cool.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Wow. I can't think of anything else...Wow.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Ringulf, you are so _ _ _ _ _ _ talented and creative! That is an AWESOME mug! You are a great inspiration to all! Sindara and Turnip