Boot weathering

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Boot weathering

Post by Beornmann »

A weekend before leaving for a couple months, total boot failure, but luckily had a brand new pair still in the box, obviously not broken in. Laced them up as tight as I could, filled up a round tub with water (or any local body of water would do) and starting marching. When they loosen up, tighten them up. All you want is break down the leather fibers. Worked pretty well and had very few blisters.

And oh, my 2¢, Jump Boots are worthless, except for for parades and other such nonsense D&P shows.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Boot weathering

Post by Sam »

hesinraca wrote:on the other hand I think I agree with maintaining kit quality over aesthetics...
I agree with this, as long as there is no real shine which would stand out sorely, then the boots should weather well by themselves. The only real reason one would want to weather boots to such an extent would be to use them as costume rather than kit.