My new bow

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My new bow

Post by Arbellason »

This is a bow I got recently I don't know If i am going to use it in my kit or get a English long bow. I'm not sure what happened to my form in the last picture I'm better than that or at least I hope I am if so they better kick me off my archery team. Ah well it's a decent bow for a 35# target bow made of hickory 72 inches long strung about 1 and half inches at it's widest.
Attachments
Bow being drawn and my terrible form.
Bow being drawn and my terrible form.
100_1147.JPG (183.38 KiB) Viewed 12009 times
Bow on it's side
Bow on it's side
100_1146.JPG (205.99 KiB) Viewed 12009 times
The design on the bow
The design on the bow
100_1145.JPG (165.96 KiB) Viewed 12009 times
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Arbellason

Re: My new bow

Post by Arbellason »

Finally figured out what the problem was with my weird form I was trying not to hit the ceiling.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice bow, congratulations
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Very nice. Where did you get it if you don't mind? I will be getting a bow soon and am always looking at options. It kind of looks like G.I.Bow, he does some Middle Earth themed bows, including the elven recurves.
You can't take the sky from me.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

I got it from crows head archery out of Pennsylvania I ordered it on the black Friday sale and got it for $149.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Tis a beautiful bow, however from the one picture, it appears as if your string is too close to the bow handle, when you go to shoot it, this could really do a number to your hand and wrist. If its a Flemish twist string, just twist it until its shorter. We wouldn't want an injured ranger here so just thought I would throw that out there :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There is a proper measurement for what Sam has mentioned, it is called the Brace height and is normally measured by a fistmal (sp) which has been told to me as the distance of your fist and outstretched thumb measured from the belly of the bow at the shelf or grip to the string at the knock, like you were giving the thumbs up sign. (Please chime in archers if I have any of that info incorrect, It is rather late and I am half asleep, my spelling may not be the only thing to suffer.) :oops:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Ringulf wrote:There is a proper measurement for what Sam has mentioned, it is called the Brace height and is normally measured by a fistmal (sp) which has been told to me as the distance of your fist and outstretched thumb measured from the belly of the bow at the shelf or grip to the string at the knock, like you were giving the thumbs up sign. (Please chime in archers if I have any of that info incorrect, It is rather late and I am half asleep, my spelling may not be the only thing to suffer.) :oops:
I us my spread fingers as a measurement.
So reading this (i recall learning it looooonnnnngggggg ago and forgot it) I just dug out my rule and found my spread fingers to be about the same as my fist & thumb.

BTW, did you decorate it yourself?
obviously you are shooting off the hand so maybe a glove?
I got mine at ravenswood Leather then had to resew the finger because it was too tight.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

I was kind of wondering what was up with my string being so close to the handle. Thanks for the advice on how to fix it.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

very nice! I really like the base color! very rich!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Awesome bow! I'm drooling… will be a couple of paychecks before I can get another. Enjoy! Sindara
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.