Completed Bracer Project #?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Completed Bracer Project #?

Post by Greg »

A lot of leather projects are thought up, and then the material is shopped for, bought, and used to make the whatever.

Not so here.

I try to avoid speaking about materials and other inanimate objects as though they possess any sort of power beyond their own abilities as inert matter...but I have to make exception to the rule today.

I was gifted with an extraordinarily beyond-the-norm sum of funds exclusively designated for "project materials". What this most commonly means is leather.

I dug into theleatherguy.org with a fervor, hoping something would catch my eye or I'd come across a particular tanning style of cowhide that I covet, etc. And that's when I found it.

It looked great online, and I figured I'd be able to do a lot with it, but when its 23 square feet of gorgeous brown oily goodness was first rolled out on my living room floor, this hide, for lack of a better term, spoke to me.

It had character that all but required its eventual use(s), and practically overnight it planned out its own first project...as if I was simply a means to an end for this half a cow, which clearly had its own intentions long before it got hold of me. Sounds kinda like a certain loop of Gold we all are rather well acquainted with.

*Re-wind a few months.*

My bracers are old. They are stiff with years upon years of sweat, salt, and toil. They show minimal craftsmanship, and one sports a crudely burned rendition of the White Tree which I grow less fond of with each passing use. What I considered quite utilitarian when I made them now, to me, shows a stark and complete lack of planning on my part which could have saved me many a gripe since I began using them.

*Fast-forward to two weeks ago.*

Function is everything for me these days. There's a direct reference to Vambraces in Tolkien's work, so finding an excuse for them needn't be a priority...I just need function. I have an expansive and well-organized collection of photographs collected from this forum, my own experiences, and Andy's old site that I look to as a quick-reference guide, and that was where I was when I happened upon a file dedicated to Andy's bracers. For those of you who aren't familiar with Andy's work, he generated two simple hand-drawn patterns for left- and right-handed bracers which spread over two images per pattern. These bracers were something special, because they solved the problem of laces getting in the way of a bowstring on the left arm (assuming a right-handed archer) by moving the laces down to the lower edge of the forearm on the one bracer, while maintaining the centered lacing on the other to maximize the protected area.

I decided that since this year I've decided to step my kit up another notch, and since this gorgeous cowhide found its way to my workbench, this would be my starting point. You know, as though I had a choice...that dead cow knew what it was doing all along.

For starters, here are Andy's patterns, assembled into complete sketches from the originals, showing the basic outline. If you wish to make something like these, the real trick is to use his as guidelines, but NOT to transfer them directly to your leather. Make careful measurements of your own arms, generate the shape onto cardboard, cut it out, and use it to test-fit the pattern to your body before ever cutting material.

The right one is the basic bracer shape. If you look at it carefully, all the left bracer pattern is is the right one, cut and pasted back together to re-position the seam.

Andy's actual finished bracers are seen here, which are what I had to go on. The top one is the left, and sports a panel to aid its use as an archery arm guard. Note the differing locations of lacing between it and the right arm below it.

So if you take the pattern, sit down with it, a piece of cardboard, a pencil, and a measuring tape for the better part of four hours, you wind up with a pattern. Three solid days' worth of sitting around, second-guessing yourself, crossing your fingers and praying before cutting, and then stitching the hard way, you wind up with the following:

They're more flexible than my old ones, but are double-layered and feel much more protective. The allowances made for wrist movement make them insanely comfortable by comparison, and the method of lacing is so smooth that I can pull on the ties together and the whole thing cinches up in one motion. A quick round of arrows at a mere 15 yards showed marked improvement in consistency, so much so that I had to put on the old one to see if the bracer made the difference or if I was just having a really, really good day. Funny how expensive "good days" can be...two broken self-nocks on any other occasion would be cause for me to be pissed.

Shameless plug: New wool over shirt, now with sleeves that actually reach my wrists, and a neck hole in the actual center. Fancy.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Completed Bracer Project #?

Post by Udwin »

Solid construction as usual, Greg. They look good!
BTW, what's your source for shirt wool?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are great! Thanks for sharing, Greg! I'm actually really psyched to see a pattern all laid out for them. Normally I have to draft my own from trial and error, which has the potential to be both time consuming and expensive. I may have to use this to make a pair like this myself. I've been toying with various ideas for making a new archery bracer for ages now.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

Very cool! I really like the colors of your kit! They blend well
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nicely done Greg!
And might I add that your posts are always a very entertaining read.
I had to chuckle when you likened the similarity of the leather's pull, to that of the ring, I have felt that all too many times...kind of the "Zen of the leather" thing! Hee hee.

These bracers are wonderfully designed and seem to extend, or could be made to extend up past the elbow like a pair of bauzbands so one might not have to wear separate elbow cops in combat.

This is normally more important to heavy melee fighters and not felt to be as desirable for archers when considering the protection as opposed to the extra weight and restriction of flexibility.

In my case however, I am required in combat archery to be fully armored about the elbows so the versatility and coverage of this design is very appealing for that type of kit.
I have looked at many elbow covering bracer designs, including some splint mail, but always have the problem of trying to retrofit them with some sort of bowstring rail or separate guard on the inside of the forearm. This design looks as if it could be used, or slightly modified to be used, to provide good protection with a less complicated and lighter design.

Is Andy's old site still in existence? If so do you have a link? If not, it would be a labor of respect to include his work on this forum in it's entirety, even if it was put under a separate heading, just a thought, and to my knowledge much of it is already here in part.

Thanks for the post, it will be very helpful along with your insight! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I like both the hidden laces and the moving the laces to the side.
I've always resented the laces being on the outside where they could get cut or inside where they ruin the bowstring.
this idea solves that problem.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ringulf wrote:Very nicely done Greg!

Is Andy's old site still in existence? If so do you have a link? If not, it would be a labor of respect to include his work on this forum in it's entirety, even if it was put under a separate heading, just a thought, and to my knowledge much of it is already here in part.

Hear hear! I was never around these parts when Andy's site was up and running, but if there is more excellent stuff like this from that site kicking around, I heartily second Ringulf's suggestion!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:Is Andy's old site still in existence? If so do you have a link? If not, it would be a labor of respect to include his work on this forum in it's entirety, even if it was put under a separate heading, just a thought, and to my knowledge much of it is already here in part.
It was supposed to be a surprise, but what the heck...I'm in the process of assembling a fairly complete listing of his contributions to the hobby as a section of our wiki, complete with photos from both his website and his old swordforum.com posts. This would include patterns/instructions like what Caedmon has already added to the wiki (see Watch cloak), and even information leading to the original source of Andy's much coveted boot pattern.

That's right, you heard me. The boots.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

As for my shirt wool, that's a good ol' army surplus blanket. Nothing better, nothing cheaper.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very cool Greg. I had saved some of the older stuff but, that was 2 computers ago.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow Greg! Thank you so much for doing that, I never got the chance to see Andy's site myself but I have come to enjoy everything that has been posted from it. Sorry to ruin the surprise, but take it as a confirmation you were on the right track with an idea who's time has come to fruition! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job, Greg! I have those patterns printed out somewhere, I usually don't wear bracers, prefering the long coat with sleeves, but might have to try it for fun!

Ken

P.S. make more stuff!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Great job Greg they turned out great.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/njxvk ... ranger.zip That is a zip file containing a rip of Andy's site. I got it from someone here a couple of years ago.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I think I have the files from the site saved on one of my computers
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

No worries...I have all of the text, I have an archived copy of the site, and more than all of the images from the original site. That being said, I'm not duplicating his site on our wiki...I don't feel that would be right. Instead, I'm making a series of pages that show his images, projects, and contributions to the community.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I need to get back to doing some leather work. I have the leather for my bracers using andy's original pattern but have not started the process yet.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"