Tankard sleeve upgrade

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Tankard sleeve upgrade

Post by Ringulf »

As mentioned in a thread a few days ago containing a tobacco pouch, I mentioned a series I was thinking of for mug sleeves.
I have enjoyed the many Lotro "Pub Crawls" around the Shire, and it gave me a fun idea.
Each of the Seven Taverns (Well six and the Party tree Inn League Tent you start the crawl on) have thier own Pub sign outside the door, plus there are the 3 Taverns of Bree that can be added as well. So I was thinking of making a series of Tankard sleeves made from leather with the Shire map "wood" burned (Pyrography albiet on leather) and the different Tavern Signs made into a leather "patch" and sewn on the front.
I then thought that one could actually have the Shire map on the sleeve and then collect the leather "patches" or for this purpose "medallions on ribbons" to hang from the handle of the main mug for each pub you crawled to.

This is the first one, I really like the bone/cream colored ceramic, though stoneware would also look very authentic,(the ones in the Lotro graphics look alot like this, though a bit more rounded) however they are hard to find in consistant numbers.

So I am trying now to find a source of relatively inexpensive (under 10 dollars a peice) tankards. This one is approximately 20 oz, but 18 to 22oz would be fine if it had the right look.
If I can find a reliable source, I can start producing these from a single pattern, and then of course the options for other designs are unlimited!

Proposal: Alright my little Ranger minions! find the source I need, and the one who finds me the one I end up choosing, gets his or hers free and first! :mrgreen:

(Yeah, sorry folks, don't mean to put you to work, but I am kinda at my wits end looking for the right one and any help would be hot!) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Tankard sleeve upgrade

Post by Peter Remling »

Scott :

This place has a variety and the price is great.

http://www.discountmugs.com/category/cu ... 7AodADAAdg
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The site above has a design it yourself logo built into the price. If the logo could be printed on the bottom instead of the side, you could have your site logo on the bottom of every mug. Built in Advertising !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Slick idea man! Then I could even get the price per mug down because the blank ones have a higher rate!
I could just put a small marshwoodbay on the face and it would not show under the sleeve, but the bottom is genious!

It reminds me of the story of British Naval Impression during the Nepoleonic War, when they put the coin in the tankard to say the victim accepted his recruitment wage as soon as the coin touched his lips, then pop on the head , into a sack, and the poor bastard wakes up at sea with a new vocation! of course our advertising is much less...aggresive!

Cheers!:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: