Pictures of my full outfit.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Pictures of my full outfit.

Post by Daerir »

I always thought about walnut dying stuff, but I don't have the slightest clue on how. Something about boiling them and soaking the material in it but I'm not sure.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

That is one great impression! I am inspired. Do you happen to remember the Etsy shop that you got the tunic from?
You can't take the sky from me.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

rangersamII wrote:I always thought about walnut dying stuff, but I don't have the slightest clue on how. Something about boiling them and soaking the material in it but I'm not sure.
Its the hulls you want off the walnut, not the shell or the nut. I gather all of mine from my father in laws property and spread them out in my driveway and back over them until the are hulled. Next I separate them using a homemade sifter made from chicken wire stretched over a basic square frame. I let hulls sit for a few weeks indoors until they turn a dark brown. After that I boil the hulls in water to render the dye. If Im dyeing cloth I simply throw it in with the mixture after it has simmered for a few hours.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

wulfgar wrote:That is one great impression! I am inspired. Do you happen to remember the Etsy shop that you got the tunic from?
Wulfar, here is a link to the Etsy merchant I bought my tunic from. It is well made, very warm and well fitted.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/159620662/ ... _active_12
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Brett Holmes wrote:
wulfgar wrote:That is one great impression! I am inspired. Do you happen to remember the Etsy shop that you got the tunic from?
Wulfar, here is a link to the Etsy merchant I bought my tunic from. It is well made, very warm and well fitted.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/159620662/ ... _active_12
Thanks!
You can't take the sky from me.
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

Cool looking stuff
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

Really nice. Originally I was going to make my kit very similar to this, but it took a more viking/saxon turn. I wish I had half the gear you had, I've been slacking on it. Also going to have to look into that shop you got your tunics at...mine are kinda baggy.
I've actually been meaning to try walnut dyeing some garb a while. There's a black walnut tree across the street, and the squirrels leave them all over our yard. Maybe one of my tunics...I look a little too much like Link when I wear my green one...

You've got to get a picture with your gear on in sunlight some time. I bet it will look even better.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Hey I was just wondering, how did you fasten the jerkin front together? It looks like ties but how did you make them?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

kits looks great. I have those pants and love them but have not modified them at all yet.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Great garb...you even have the the Jackson/ranger look. Wish I had long hair, but alas I'm the bald ranger.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
The_Rangers_Film
Wayfarer

Post by The_Rangers_Film »

Looking Sharp! Now you need to get that kit into the field. Please post on The Rangers Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/therangerswebseries
~HONOR~COURAGE~LOYALTY~FOREVER~ The Rangers
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Hail,

Very nice kit. I'm somewhat jealous of your bow. If I may where did you get it from?
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Brett!
Sorry I did not get a chance to weigh in on your kit, though I am sure you have heard what I would add. Your gear is sturdy, well thought out and well crafted and the fact that you have undertaken the majority of it yourself not only means it is personal and well made but also that you have learned many lessons about the ranger lifestyle and being an independant and self reliant individual! Kudos on all and welcome! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Looks like you just stepped out of a page of Tolkien's writings… great outfit, definitely looks the part!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Can I ask how your jerkin was made? I am in the process of finding materials and I striking out :(