For the Pipe Smokers: Favorite Tobacco?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

For the Pipe Smokers: Favorite Tobacco?

Post by Manveruon »

Being from Colorado, this may come as a surprise to some, but I don't smoke. Anything. That being said, I love cool old wooden (and sometimes clay) pipes, and I think they're great additions to a ranger's gear. Furthermore, I hate the smell of cigarette smoke (and... other smoke... probably even more-so) but I've always kind of enjoyed the aromatic quality of pipe tobacco.

Anyway, as it happens, I've got a small collection of pipes going right now, but I don't actually own any tobacco for them. While I don't habitually smoke (or even occasionally), I would like to be able to have a puff now and again on one of my various pipes, whether dressed as a ranger, a pirate, etc. So what I'm wondering is, pipe smokers: what's your favorite tobacco, and why? What would be best for someone who isn't a smoker? What kind do you think smell and taste the best?

As always, input is appreciated! Cheers!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: For the Pipe Smokers: Favorite Tobacco?

Post by Peter Remling »

Not a smoker either but when I was a kid both my father and a neighbor would occasionally smoke. The most aromatic to be was a cherry blend.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Despite the obviously cliche name...I was extremely impressed with this, being a novice and non-smoke-lover myself (save from a campfire...the day they make a convincing woodsmoke cologne, I'm in heaven). I only light mine on the occasional trek. It says "a hint of vanilla"...but it's not a hint. It's freaking vanilla. Smells and tastes great.

http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php ... ucts_id=46
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:Not a smoker either but when I was a kid both my father and a neighbor would occasionally smoke. The most aromatic to be was a cherry blend.
I don't smoke, but I picked up some pipe tobacco for my Ranger pipe, and I got cherry blend, because the unsmoked tobacco smells great.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My Gramps was a pipe smoker and he used a mixture of Borkum Rif and Captain Black in equal parts. Why...I have no idea, but the aroma always reminded me of him.
When in College, a few of my philosophy major friends decided to take up at least walking around with a pipe. (I suppose they thought it made them look more introspective and philosophical) Well we teased them just a bit, that it just made them look kinda silly without the smoke, so I joined them and wrote to my Nanna who used to, among her wifely duties, mix Gramp's tobacco blend. We all started smoking it (on occasion as I was a vocal music major and really did not like the effects of it on my throat, still don't but I have learned to control my pipe much better)
So, now I smoke in character and enjoy it around the campfire or after a meal with other like minded Dwarves or Rangers (perhaps a wizaed or two and of late with Hobbits more than not).
I have settled on a flavor that I use the most which is Rum maple. I have also had Brandy maple which is also very good but a bit harder to get. When I want a cherry flavor and aroma, I go for the Paladin brand, and from time to time I still dip into the old can of Borkum Rif/Captain Black.
Being a swashbuckler, I would think the Rum maple might tickle your fancy! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks a million guys! It's nice to see that I'm not the only non-smoker who is at least in some part intrigued by pipes and pipe-smoking.

Greg, that's awesome! I very well may have to order one or two different varieties from that site, but the Longbottom Leaf sounds great! I may actually have to check out more than one of their Middle-Earth inspired tobaccos. They also have one called the "Buccaneer Blend" which I might have to try just because of the name, haha.

And Ringulf, that's hilarious. The idea of carrying a pipe without smoking it (while not in costume of some kind) makes about as much sense to me as wearing glasses with no lenses. At any rate though, that rum maple doesn't sound half bad! I'll have to see if I can find something like that.

Also I was told one should never smoke two different kinds of tobacco out of the same pipe - does anyone know if this is true? I imagine it might muddy the flavor a bit, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

My blend of choice is Boswell's "Berry Cobbler." http://www.boswellpipes.com/tobaccoblends.html I partake about four to eight pipe-fulls a year, particularly in nice weather when hiking. Keeps bugs away from your face, too.

Regarding blending 'baccy in the same pipe: it depends on the kind of pipe. Corn cob, clay or soapstone is fine. Briar, however, soaks up some of the flavor of the tobacco, so you want to keep the same *family* of flavors in one pipe. You don't want to do a dark and then an aromatic, for example--it'd be like having soda out of the cup you just drank coffee in, give it a bit of an off flavor. But a briar pipe that has been used for the same blends of tobacco will give a superior smoke, or so they say. And complementary flavors should be fine.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

The way I figure it, I don't smoke enough to warrant a national brand. When I picked up a clay pipe I went to the local tobacco shop, found the 85 year old owner and asked him what was the best. I ened up with Pete's blend and it's stood me in good stead.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Being UK based I cant get them but the lord of rings inspired tobaccos all sound good.
myself I do smoke a pipe regularly.
its either Dunhill Early Morning Pipe or Ashton's Rainy Day.
The EMP is a mellow blend
The Rainy Day is an aromatic.

I then like to grab samples of others.
currently enjoying Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls.

I suppose for accuracy I should smoke rope tobaccos as thats what Rogers Rangers would of smoked but and this is a big but....its foul stuff.

to get around this I decant tobacco from the tin into a pouch which feels mkre acceptable to me
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

I'm currently smoking Petersons Sherlock Holmes. Its okay . though I preferred their irish whiskey. I smoke so little that a 50 g can they sell these in last from 3 months to half a year so I havent tried too many blends
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

It's been awhile and a bit late, but Tolkien has been front of mind lately and I couldn't resist popping on and replying to this thread.

I've tried the Just For Him middle earth sampler - some really nice blends there. The Longbottom Leaf wasn't to my preference, but certainly not bad. I think my favorite was Ruins of Isengard. Like Shadowhawk I have a preference for Peterson and have liked those I've tried (Sherlock, Irish Oak, Irish Whiskey, Dublin something or other...), though they're probably a bit strong in flavor for the first time pipe smoker.

If your intentions are to only smoke infrequently then I'd suggest sticking with aromatic blends, especially flavored, as Ringulf suggested. They tend to be more palatable and give off a more pleasant aroma (important to those around you).

Cheers!
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Greetings, all,

It's been years since I smoked, but I tended to prefer two types of blends. One is Cavendish. I think Captain Black has something like this. Kind of a sweet, vanilla type smell.

The other is Latakia, which is kind of strong. Hard to describe.

The Tinderbox is one store that I used to frequent. My two favorite blends were Lamplighter, a toasted cavendish, and Philospher, a latakia.

I see the store is still open.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.