Awesome Irony

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Awesome Irony

Post by Daerir »

I was snooping around an elvish dictionary website the other day and discovered something awesome; My ranger name is Daerir (not sure why I didn't make THAT my username on here but too late now) and I discovered that the prefix Dae- means shadow. Seems pretty fitting and just thought I'd share that :) .
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Awesome Irony

Post by Straelbora »

rangersamII wrote:I was snooping around an elvish dictionary website the other day and discovered something awesome; My ranger name is Daerir (not sure why I didn't make THAT my username on here but too late now) and I discovered that the prefix Dae- means shadow. Seems pretty fitting and just thought I'd share that :) .
The weirdest name/language coincidence I've ever run across was with some friends and their cat, which they found abandoned on a university campus right after the students moved out of town for the summer. She was a white cat with a gray tail, so they called her Shadowtail. The couple both shared a 'totem animal,' the squirrel.

I was poking through the dictionary one day when I came across the origin of the word 'squirrel.' It ultimately derives from the ancient Greek 'skia' meaning 'shade' and 'oura' meaning 'tail.'
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

That's pretty sweet, although I wonder why the Greeks associated squirrels with shade, I would think they would have chosen like [Insert Greek word for furry] tail :P
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

I would guess that it has to do with how wide the tail looks and that they thought that the squirrels used it for shade.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Laothain wrote:I would guess that it has to do with how wide the tail looks and that they thought that the squirrels used it for shade.
I think that's exactly what it was.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Southwind
Wanderer

Post by Southwind »

Tolkien doesn't seem to have made an Elvish word for "squirrel". But David Salo, who is responsible for all the Elvish in the movies, did. His word, which belongs to his constructed Silvan Elvish, is "gwethling", which literally translates as... shadowtail! (It's probably based on the Greek/English derivation.)

As for your ranger name, rangersam, there are two semi-likely interpretations (that I can come up with). The first is dae shadow + rîr - which is rî (garland, wreath, crown) with a semi-hypothetical agental -r ending. So it would mean something like "one who crowns with a garland of shadow". "Crowned with (a garland of) shadow" would be "Daerin" (lit. shadow-crowned).

The other interpretation of Daerir would be daer horrible, dreadful + gir shudder (g tends to vanish in Sindarin). Somewhat less flattering, perhaps. Daer has a homophone meaning "great, large". A little better, but not much.

...This has been the midnight ramblings of someone with way too much time studying Elvish under their belt...
- Southwind (Gwaiharad)
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Southwind wrote:Tolkien doesn't seem to have made an Elvish word for "squirrel". But David Salo, who is responsible for all the Elvish in the movies, did. His word, which belongs to his constructed Silvan Elvish, is "gwethling", which literally translates as... shadowtail! (It's probably based on the Greek/English derivation.)

As for your ranger name, rangersam, there are two semi-likely interpretations (that I can come up with). The first is dae shadow + rîr - which is rî (garland, wreath, crown) with a semi-hypothetical agental -r ending. So it would mean something like "one who crowns with a garland of shadow". "Crowned with (a garland of) shadow" would be "Daerin" (lit. shadow-crowned).

The other interpretation of Daerir would be daer horrible, dreadful + gir shudder (g tends to vanish in Sindarin). Somewhat less flattering, perhaps. Daer has a homophone meaning "great, large". A little better, but not much.

...This has been the midnight ramblings of someone with way too much time studying Elvish under their belt...

So with the first one, I could technically be a Dark Lord being crowned with shadow.... Sweet!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Oh and is it possible to change usernames? ive noticed a few different posts about it?
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I thought I had seen one in another thread where one was changed..Greg I think the name was changed to
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I haven't changed my name, but it's perfectly doable to change usernames if you'd like one of the admins to take care of that for you.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Awesome! I wonder what I'll change it too LOL
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

rangersamII wrote:Awesome! I wonder what I'll change it too LOL
Sam, When you decide on a new name pm me with your choice.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

THANKS PETE!!