Ranger Duster?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Ranger Duster?

Post by Manveruon »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Strider in the films. I do kind of like the duster in a sense, but honestly I always felt he looked better with just the leather vest. Which, incidentally, is precisely what I wear with my own gear.

And I second Greg's comment! Welcome to the forums, Rifter! I'm glad I could tempt you over here!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

Welcome to the forum!

I was sort of "meh" about his duster, but having done the outdoorsy thing in period gear- I can really see where it would be of benefit. It's not really "armor", as that sort of soft hide cuts easily- but it IS great on abrasion and windproofing. That said- a nice, heavy cloak is for more generally useful in the wilds. My usual cloak was made from a couple of old U.S. army blankets, is nearly a 3/4 circle, and goes to the lower calf in length. We have used it to make a shelter for 4 people once, even!

Personally, I'm going to make a leather doublet thingy, possibly like the Ithilien rangers wore, but more likely a more "Rangers of the North" kinda thing- who, as described wore late medieval-style clothes, for the most part- and that makes sense to me!

Bestens!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Thanks for the welcome. Appreciated. Don't get me wrong with the money I've invested in replicating Strider's kit I'd get it if I saw a well made one, I had the boot maker and the elven cloak makers from the film make mine but it's not a 'have to have' thing. It suits some scenes butt he fact that its sleeves are ripped right off after the fall in Rohan...I was more into 'ok put it aside and stick to the elven cloak now' My own custom ranger kit is styled similarly to Strider's, with a suede jerkin and feels great and adds that weight.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'