Proposed sword build

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Proposed sword build

Post by Arbellason »

I've decided to take a different approach to attain a good made sword I do believe that now I'm going to buy the parts to put one together. I can get this blade from albion for $193 tempered Overall length:
34.75" Blade length: 28". Then I can make the handle I've got a good selection of wood to do so. I can get a pommel and crossguard for another $50. I'll wait till I get a stable job and time to build it I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.
The blade is single handed xviii.
If I encounter size problems I guess I'll just have to chose a different pommel and crossguard because right now it's still on the drawing board.
Attachments
single-xviii-1.jpg
single-xviii-1.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
brass swept back crossguard
brass swept back crossguard
frame_guard_curved_lobed__27914_thumb.jpg (4.38 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
brass pommel
brass pommel
frame_pommel_round_plain__48001_thumb.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: Proposed sword build

Post by mcapanelli »

Good move man. Be aware though that the blade isn't ground to its final shape and you'll need to do a good amount of grinding to get it right. I'd suggest contacting our own Odigan about setting the blade up to be mounted. Also the pommel looks very machined. Maybe save a little more and get a set from Yeshua's sword. You'll probably spend about $600-700 when its all done but you'll have a sword that's somewhere in the $1000 range. While your saint money you should check out "Records of the Medieval Sword" and "A Knight and his Weapons", both from Ewart Oakeshott.

The books will give you a basic understanding of how swords through history looked so when you finally decide on a guard and pommel the sword will look plausible even if it isn't historical. If you want an example of a fantasy sword that's completely plausible take a peek at the Borderwatch by Christian Fletcher. Most of the LOTR designs are not just random fantasy pieces but made to exhibit a certain historical aesthetic based on the culture represented. In the process you'll learn just how brilliant Peter Lyons really is when you see how he wove historic motifs in each design he made and still made them look like completely original fantasy creations. Bloody brilliant!
Winter is coming
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Have a grinder to finish it up I think I might change up the pommel and with the new forge I might be able to make a guard but money will be the ultimate decision maker as I need money to buy the blades first :(
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Arbellason wrote:Have a grinder to finish it up I think I might change up the pommel and with the new forge I might be able to make a guard but money will be the ultimate decision maker as I need money to buy the blades first :(
Keep in mind when you order that blade that it isn't ground to final shape. Its close, but you still need to know what you're doing or you'll either mess up the geometry, ruin the heat treatment, or both.
Winter is coming
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I would also second going with Yeshua's sword. Ernie made my custom sword nearly from the ground up, and I am still absolutely blown away with the quality for the price. I paid less tha $600 in the end, including shipping, and got a 100% custom sword, made to my exact specifications. And of course, he can also create parts a-la-carte, if you want to assemble the whole thing yourself.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Looked at SBG and from what people have said that pommels from my first site are pretty good ones.