Guess what finally came

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Guess what finally came

Post by Arbellason »

So I ordered arrows a month ago and now they are finally here. Well that is actually the second batch the first got lost in Singapore. They are 32" long with field points and bamboo shafts. The fletchings are on the small side but they work.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/wmaru ... ary/Arrows
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Guess what finally came

Post by wulfgar »

Nice arrows. Where did you get them from ?
You can't take the sky from me.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Here if you order though be prepared to wait a good long while http://www.ebay.com/itm/12x-Trad-ARROW- ... 4402969%26.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Nice. Being bamboo, do they feel much lighter than traditional Western arrows?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well I actually don't have any other arrows to compare it to but they actually feel heavier the density of the wood itself seems pretty high but then again I've never had a good and proper wood arrow till now. I'll take a weight measurement soon.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Nice looking arrows. My first arrows were also from China throgh ebay, but some other wood than bamboo. They worked fairly well for starting out. The biggest problem I had was inconsistency in the spine as some would go left and others wag back and forth. That led me to purchase some spruce shafts, feathers, tips, nocks, and a fletching jig to learn how to make my own. It's a useful skill and not as hard as it looks.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

I plan on making my own since I have access to good goose feathers and an fletching jig the only thing that gets me is the arrowheads.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Arbellason wrote:I plan on making my own since I have access to good goose feathers and an fletching jig the only thing that gets me is the arrowheads.
Your mentioning access to goose feathers reminded me of the opening of a brilliant book on the 100 years war between England and France. The author mentioned that King Edward III didn't rush into military action against the French, but that the war was planned well in advance. This is known because a year or so before military action was contemplated, a royal order went out demanding that each town, village, etc. provide X amount of goose feathers per person to London- to be used for fletching arrows.

If they weren't a protected species, the Canada geese by my office would be my source of goose feathers tomorrow.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Arbellason wrote:I plan on making my own since I have access to good goose feathers and an fletching jig the only thing that gets me is the arrowheads.
The Game & Fish has been reintroducing turkeys into the mountain forests around Tucson and the numbers are high enough to allow hunting.
Plus a lot of locals raise geese and turkeys for holiday dinners.
So I put an ad on Craigslist for turkey wing-feathers thinking that between thanksgiving/xmas dinners and hunters i'd get enough feathers and bought a feather-chopper form 3-Rivers.

What I got were feathers that were not very useful. Maybe for 30# target but no more.

well, it was a thought!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.