rethinking the rangers weapons

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: rethinking the rangers weapons

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

DavidMc,

I agree with you completely I often describe the spear as being the forerunner of the battle rifle, with the sword being the fore runner of the combat handgun. I think people tend overlook the fact that
these weapons are/were part of a complete weapons system designed around getting a combatant through a very up close and personal fight.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I agree with the spear thing I was thinking of a longer spear where you want to be able to move freely with a big radius. I would most def take a spear or two to battle with me.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

on the original subject of protecting your sword from rust;
please forgive my ignorance here, but since your not dealing with a utilitarian blade (i.e. wont receive wear from daily cutting tasks), my first thought was why not use wax?
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

doghsin wrote:on the original subject of protecting your sword from rust;
please forgive my ignorance here, but since your not dealing with a utilitarian blade (i.e. wont receive wear from daily cutting tasks), my first thought was why not use wax?
My two cents.
There are some machinists waxes that resemble medieval versions. The thing I guess is that in the heat it reaches liquid state and makes a sticky mess since anything medieval was based on parafin or bees wax. Also, a warrior takes pride in his weapons, and pulling a sword thats covered in gunk and goo isn't very impressive. Not to mention waxes of older origin can go bad in the heat, and collect lots of pigy-back things like dust, dirt, grime, etc. I imagine a well dirtied wax could end up working like a soft abrasive. That's might not be good.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Waxed blades have a tendency to grab not cut, so not only can you foul your scabbard and accumulate all sorts of dust, lint and dirt in the wax, it won't cut as cleanly. Waxes are great for display not not so much for users or a sword being kept in a scabbard.
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

you guys sure seem to know your stuff.
guess i was thinking more along the lines of a very lightly applied and highly buffed beeswax furniture polish, where it gives a very slick and glossy surface. but since ive never done it, it was just a theory. still, i might experiment with different recipes/ techniques when i get back to civilization. mentally, i cant fathom it not working.lol
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

wax is ok for a pole arm ( on the wood) or a bow. but i still would go for a light oil both in the scabbard and on the blade. i have kept an oily cloth for the purpose of wiping down my blade.
I'm going to disagree with this. We often, today, view the spear as a primitive, unwieldy, poor man's weapon. The truth of the matter is, it is one of the most effective (and therefore ubiquitous) weapons ever made. The spear was as much for the "scrum" as it was for the fringes, and you wouldn't want to run into the fray being the only person without one.
as far as spears go. well the vikings did write just as many keenings about them as they did swords. a spear is nothing to snease at. mmm pointy sharpy goodness. :P
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?