Spike axe project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Spike axe project

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,
I picked up this Spike Axe in Bosnia a while back and just sort of forgot about it. I think it was a European Fireman’s Axe to begin with. It just looked Medieval. Then, while I was looking a hammers online (war hammers, not good looking girls) I saw a few axes that reminded of this one I have.
I took it apart and cleaned up the head and langets with files and sand paper. Filed a bit on the langets to tighten up the fit with the head. I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black on the head, as that was all I had.
The handle started out as an Ash sledge hammer handle from the local German version of Home Depot. After a good bit of rasp/file work, sandpaper and stain, I used a beeswax/linseed oil.
The rivets are iron nails I picked up at a fest here.

I made a few test strikes into wood then went to the hand forged shield boss. The boss was placed on ethefoam which gave it a firm base but would still absorb some of the impact.
The second axe hit cut through the boss and the spike had no trouble punching in. There was no change to the axe edge and no loosening to the fit.
A good weapon for when you know you’re going up against armored opponents.

http://www.meranger.com/WarAxe.html
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I like it ! Your head cover is sweet with the quick release. I generally use a loop over button but your's is much faster both on and off.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Looking good Andy! That's a real orc-getter for sure. That reminds me that I have another wood-cutting ax out in my smithy that needs some work.