CLOAKS

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

CLOAKS

Post by RikJohnson »

I have made a lot of really bad cloaks. Non were comfortable to wear, few covered the essentials, none were warm and worst of all, I could could convince no young lady to be seen with my cloaks wrapped around her frame. Then one day my daughter gave me this cloak. Her mother had made it for her and she hated it. Partially because the cloak was made by her mother (a seamstress) for a 6’ person and my daughter is 5’ nothing, mainly because she had no place to wear the thing (she grew up in SCA and hated the guys hitting on her growing up).
It is lined and very warm and is a full circle that easily covers two people.
The problem was that it is too warm for our Summer and I hate that long point on the hood. What am I supposed to do? Store food in that space???

When I lay the thing on the floor and actually looked at it... (my philosophy is that if i want to make a pair of pants, I ignore the patterns and carefully examine a set I own that was made by a professional) ... i saw something interesting!
Notice how the shoulders are shaped near the hood! THAT makes it hang perfectly and is very comfortable to wear.

The cloak came with ties so I added ‘button-holes’ and forged that cloak pin one day when I was bored.
Then I laid the cloak on the floor, examined it very carefully and used it as a pattern for this summer-weight cloak.

I made the hood smaller but it is essentially the same thing.
OK, I made it from some poly-cotton blend because I had a few years of that laying around and figured that if I ruined the cloak, no big deal as this was a training cloak. If it worked, I could buy something like a wool-cotton blend and make another one. I just haven’t yet, though when I do, I plan to gift this blue one to whomever wants it.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Re: CLOAKS

Post by RikJohnson »

fyi,
After I made the green cloak, I gave the blue one to my other daughter who, at 5' 10", is tall enough to wear it and nerdy enough to want to wear it.
eventually I'll upload pics of the green cloak.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Nicely done. I also tend to take something done by people who know and try to "reverse engineer" things. Why re-create the wheel? The cloak looks good and I hope you get plenty of use out of it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Rik.. you might want to also use Linen for your cloak.. you are in AZ and yes I know the nights can get cold, but you don't want to wear wool.. not even a light weight wool.. for your only cloak option. Even rangers don't wear cloaks all the time.. so you could make one for warmer temps (linen) and one for the colder night time (wool).
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Kiriana wrote:Rik.. you might want to also use Linen for your cloak.. you are in AZ and yes I know the nights can get cold, but you don't want to wear wool.. not even a light weight wool.. for your only cloak option. Even rangers don't wear cloaks all the time.. so you could make one for warmer temps (linen) and one for the colder night time (wool).
That was my thought.
When I camp, I carry my 30d sleeping bag (good to 45) in the summer as a blanket and add a fleece liner for winter.
Yes, it is in the 90's now but this weekend in Phoenix where I will be giving a couple talks on boating (one on how to make your own hiking, camping and boating gear) it is expected to be 90 day but 40 night.

So I am wondering if I cna do the same thing, add a liner to my green cloak? (which I do nmot yet know how to do)
or
Make a winter cloak from wool as the mountains where the trees are get COLD at night even in the summer and switch from green-summer to brown winter?

I do have some old bolts of light and medium-weight wool left over from the 1970's that I am hesitant to use.. what if I find that perfect project the day after I cut it up for a cloak and pants<g>?
Until then, I can experiemnt with some thrift-store army-blankets and if that works, I, at least, have the technique down.

Also making a portable fire-pit as the forest rangers are terrified that campers will burn the desert down.
And collecting lead wheel-balancing weights to melt-down and make an arrow spliner.
projects, work, imagine and create...... keep the mind and body busy and live forever.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Good looking cloak....thing you make yourself, are always the best.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Here are couple pics of the cloak I made.