The Worshipful Company of Fletchers

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

The Worshipful Company of Fletchers

Post by Straelbora »

So there's such a thing as the Worshipful Company of Fletchers. A friend from childhood is married to (or maybe just dating) a guy who is a gold-medal winning archer in the Paralympics.

He just received his 'Certificate of Freedom" from the WCF. I had no idea they existed, but am not surprised that they do.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The Worshipful Company of Fletchers

Post by Gondian »

They are U.K only and I know that Richard Head of English Longbow fame is one of the Governors of the board
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sounds interesting, I would like to know more about them! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Aside from their perhaps pretentious-sounding name (but they're English after all, so we cut them some slack, haha), this "company" sounds intriguing. Does anyone out there have any more information on them, and what it is they do, exactly?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

Manveruon wrote:Aside from their perhaps pretentious-sounding name (but they're English after all, so we cut them some slack, haha), this "company" sounds intriguing. Does anyone out there have any more information on them, and what it is they do, exactly?
The Worshipful Company of Fletchers is one of the oldest of the City of London's 109 Livery Companies (see our history). But today very few of our members are involved in arrowmaking and so we exist to uphold the traditions of the City in ways that are appropriate to our heritage. For example, much of our charitable fund is used to support disabled archers at all levels - we were proud to support the British Paralympic Archery Team in Athens in 2004, in Beijing in 2008 and in London in 2012, but we also give much help to more modest disabled archers.

We have not forgotten our roots, and, in conjunction with the Craft Guild of Traditional Bowyers and Fletchers we award Certificates of Excellence in the Fletchers' Craft. Fletchers must present a box of finished arrows which are checked for length, weight, balance and spine, in a procedure reminiscent of a mediaeval apprentice presenting his masterpiece at the end of his apprenticeship.

http://www.fletchers.org.uk/index.html
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

How cool! Thanks for the enlightenment!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains