$60 BLONGBOW

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: $60 BLONGBOW

Post by wulfgar »

I just ordered an archer's bracer from Ravenswood.
You can't take the sky from me.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Jonathan B. wrote:
wulfgar wrote:I ordered from them over a month ago. I can't get them to respond to e-mail or phone message. Did you have any trouble with therm when you ordered from them?
I'm having the same issue.
I still haven't had any communication with them, but I received my order. The website says that it still processing. I am very happy with the product, just not the communication.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

GIBow was moving to a new warehouse and changing their website at the same time.
I suspect that is why the communications problems.
I've never had any problems with them (but then, I've bought near a half-dozen of their bows<g>).

Now that things are back online, they are reviving their $99 for 2 bow specials. You get to choose bow length, draw-weight and handle design.

I sent a message to Justin asking if the English Longbow is included and I'd like to swap my flatbow for a longbow in Garb. And at that price I cna get a short and long bow easily.

Though to be honest, tomorrow am I am heading for the Combat Con and will probably be out-of-contact until I return Monday night.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

They have some nice recurves for $99, and the Mirkwood bow for $115. Wish I had the cash!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Just talked to Justin.
The 2-for-$99 is for the flatbow. Still, I own a few of these and have gifted them to people and really like the bow.
I bought a 'shorty' @ 43", made a PVC case which straps to the deck of my kayak so I can stump-shoot while camping. He no longer makes these.

Fortunatly, after decades of raman for breakfast and sandwiches for munch, I am out-of-debt! divorce, kids, etc ran me deep but...
And with no debts, I can occasionally spend $100 on a bow or two! YAY!!!!!!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I was at the post moffice yesterday eve and found a signature card for a "long thin package". Obviously my Longbow has arrived! So I signed the card and requested that it be delivered to my house.

As all my other bows are either fiberglass recurves or flat self-bows, this is my first actual "Longbow" with the "D" cross-section. GIBow.com for $60 gave me a 45# 72" Hickory longbow... unfinished.

I'll still have to do a staining and minor sanding, wrap the handle but then, that's the fun of the thing! To personalize your bow. Actually I bought two, one for my daughter<g>.

Although the bow can be shot from the box, it is the personalizing that I enjoy, I just cannot leave anything alone.

So here are the cosmetic additions, and I recognize that they are cosmetic here.

I am seeking cow horns to make tips (which are difficult to find even in Arizona). I may have to actually splurge and buy ready-made tips though I'd prefer to cut and shape my own from a raw horn. Plus the remaining horn can be made into a case to hold my extra string, wax and a few extras.

Why tips? Yew is soft and the strings tend to act as a saw, chewing away at the tips until they snap. A sacrificial horn-tip will prolong the life of the bow. Hickory bows are much harder and modern strings cause less abrasion so the tips are decorative.

Linen backings are mainly to prevent splinters from popping out of the back of the bow. Again, with straight-grained Hickory, this is not necessary but cosmetic. It gives a more 'traditional' look to the bow.

So, question is, anyone have experience or advice or gut thoughts here?

I've never tipped or backed a bow so am totally a student in these areas.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Another thought;
If you were to back a longbow, what would you use?
Not the American Rattlesnake which is so popular here, but Linen, Sinew, what else would be used???

And here is an interesting idea....
Can you find linen in strips that would contain a leafy design that would decorate the bow?
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

RikJohnson wrote:Another thought;
If you were to back a longbow, what would you use?
Not the American Rattlesnake which is so popular here, but Linen, Sinew, what else would be used???

And here is an interesting idea....
Can you find linen in strips that would contain a leafy design that would decorate the bow?
Orc hide might make a good backing. :P
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

ineffableone wrote:Orc hide might make a good backing. :P
Possibly, though where would you find a supplier?
AND once backed, since Orcs are basically perverted elves, what happens when you meet either orc or elf and they note the backing?
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Just a thought.

Elvin bows were painted with leaves and such. Makes them a work of art.
But msomeof us suck at painting. I tried to put celtic scrollwork on one bow and just made a mess.

So my plans to linen-back my bow (when thye post office finds it and delivers it to the right address) made me wonder...

How about getting some floral print cloth with a background that matches your bow and simply back your bow with this decorative cloth?
you would have a perfect decoration for your bow!
I may spend some time in the cloth store with my bow looking for something that will work.