2013-14 Hawking Season

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

2013-14 Hawking Season

Post by Greg »

For those of you who've been around awhile, you may remember a close friend of mine, "Dusty", from last year:

Note the striped tail, the white chest, and the dark brown spotted belt across his "stomach".

Our hunting season opened over a month ago, but we haven't been able to start exercising and flight-training to hunt again yet, because Dusty was busy growing some new duds...

Here, he looks a little smaller than he is due to the angle, but it really shows off how big his head is for a male Red-Tail, and how absolutely MASSIVE his feet are. His feet, from the tip of his rear toe's talon to the tip of his front center talon, are nearly 1/4" larger than Maia's feet were (my first bird, three seasons ago), and she was a pretty big Female. Dusty is something special.
You'll note here, that he isn't quite done yet. He still has the dark brown spotted belt from his Juvenile plumage, but under his throat and across his chest, you can see the creamy coloring and the lighter brown speckles that will replace it in the next few weeks. In the meantime, his flight feathers, both wings and tail, are all done, so we're up and flying again!

Also, my license was upgraded from 'Apprentice' to 'General' this year, after all the hubub of moving and getting licenses transferred from one state to another, so next season I can trap just about anything I darn well please, save a few well-placed restrictions on protected birds, and I can have more than one bird, to boot. In the meantime, Dusty and I are raring to go start slaying some bunnies again.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: 2013-14 Hawking Season

Post by Straelbora »

Looking forward to meeting Dusty. I think Henry will get a kick out of seeing a bird that big up close.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

He'll enjoy it, I'm sure. If Henry hasn't grown much since we last met, he'll be meeting a bird with wings longer than he is tall, so I hope he's eating his Wheaties!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:He'll enjoy it, I'm sure. If Henry hasn't grown much since we last met, he'll be meeting a bird with wings longer than he is tall, so I hope he's eating his Wheaties!
Actually, he has grown a bit since last spring. BTW, if you and your family are coming up to Indy, say for Christmas shopping, etc. , let me know and we can get together (also, if you need a 'base of operations' where your daughter can have an afternoon nap if you're doing a day trip).
Hávamál
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

A beautiful creature, and a great hunting companion. Thanks for sharing, Greg.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

I've always thought that I had some of the coolest hobbies ever...building, making, using and hunting with gear that I made with mine own hand.

You sir have the best hobby ever though...such a gorgeous animal doing what it was meant to do...

Such a beautiful symbiotic relationship!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

This is sooo cool! That is one beautiful bird!!! I'm very envious! :wink:
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Greg

Post by Greg »

Today, March 31st, we said goodbye to a dear friend of a year and a half...two full hunting seasons. Today we released Dusty back into the wild, a fat, happy, and free adult bird, with a pile of squirrel and rabbit skulls to his credit this season.

We drove into the nearby Brown County state park and left a business card in the hands of one of the local DNR officers so if they have a report of a hawk "attacking" a group of people (ie. landing on their picnic table and looking for handouts) in the next ten days or so, I can come and deal with it/relocate him.

I cut his jesses off first thing, and tossed him onto the roof of our car, then calling him one last time to the glove for a nice juicy quail...the last one I had. He ate the whole thing to an astonished group of onlookers in the Nature Center parking lot, and then I took the happy hawk across the road and tossed him up into a tree. He bided his time there for a moment, and then flew off about 200 feet further down the hill into a tree, where he perched for a few more photos before we left.

Being a dork...
Last meal...
Here we go!
Final perch...
Aaaaand we're off!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

To bad we didn't get to meet him.

Will you be getting another bird this year, or with a new baby on the way, is that all too much?
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Trapping season's not until October. We released Dusty so we could breathe a little easier in may, but mark my words, October 1st will see me off of work, in a car, with binoculars.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great pics as always greg
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

Your bird looks great. Looks like his new plumage came in great and hopefully this fall you'll take plenty of squirrel and rabbit. Good luck!
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

I considered hawking/falconry seriously enough to do a lot of research into it.

Wow a lot of money and time and hoops to jump through to get legal right to do. If it had been less cost I would have likely attempted the next step of working with a group to get an idea of what it takes, but the costs and permits were just too much for me. I did hang out and talk to plenty of folks about the process and got to meet some amazing birds. Which made it hard for me to realize it wasn't the right time in my life to take up the pass time.

Maybe when I am more settled and get a homestead I can call home I will explore the option again. One of the big things I learned while researching is how much time you have to spend with the bird it is not a casual pet, but a wild animal that enjoys spending time with you. If you don't spend time with it, it will disappear next time you let it fly.