Storing gear and kit

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Storing gear and kit

Post by RikJohnson »

swords hanging display.
knives in a drawer under my bed.
clothes in the closet of what used to be my daughter's bedroom but is now my storeroom.
gear and such in copy-paper boxes on shelves is the afore-mentioned bedroom next to my kayaking and camping gear.

I bought a cedar chest that I was planning to renovate but got lazy and have yet to make the trays and repair the crack in the lid.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Great question, actually. And important caveat about revealing where 'sharps' are to the internet.

I've got an early 20th century steamer chest I picked up at a garage sale that has all of my clothing, cloaks, boots, etc. in it.

I've got plastic storage tubs with sheepskins, cowhides and various other animal skins that I use.

I've got a small pine box that I made (probably 1 square foot in volume) where I keep things like bowls, fire kit, etc. , that I would carry on hikes.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I'm slowly picking up furnishing for my rustic cabin (or Middle Earth inn) that hasn't been built yet by finding things at second had stores. Luckily, there's a small storage closet in my basement with lots of shelves, holding lanterns, baskets, cast iron skillets and pots, etc. This includes my 'Hobbitfest' accoutrements- a service of 20 or so in wooden bowls, plates, rustic silverware, serving bowls, stoneware jugs, etc.

I keep my tent and its frame (I make a 'viking' style tent using an Army surplus canvas tent) in the garage.

Since I have little kids at home, I've got some wall hanger stuff on display, but anything with a real edge or point on it is locked in a special foot locker I made for my weapons.

One of these days, I need to get pictures of my whole kit posted on the forum.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

We would like to see it. We love pictures.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Willrett wrote:We would like to see it. We love pictures.
My biggest problem is I need to figure out how to save my photos from my wife's camera to small files. I opened an imagur account to post a few photos, but don't really use it for anything else. I'd rather just post photos to this forum.

I plan on cataloging and organizing all my 'Middle Earth' stuff some time in the next few months. As I do it, I'll probably photograph it.

I'll have to pull some photos of a "Bilbo's and Frodo's Birthday Party" I did at a local library a couple of years ago for the teen librarian. They did a really nice display case advertising the event, featuring my stuff, and then there are pictures of some of my 'Hobbitfest' serving and eating stuff.
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I rented one of those offsite storage units. Overnight I tunneled under it, placed the goodies in a chamber I carved out. The walls are ladened with arms and armour. Scattered about the floor in piles and chests are clothing, gold, silver jewelry several solid silver candlesticks and ingots of gold. Scattered around the floor under some of the gold coins are 6 bear traps. The trapdoor leading to the storage unit is rigged with poisoned needles and a rigged crossbow. Parked in front of the trapdoor is a old Coleman cooler with BioHazard decal and bundled newspapers stacked all around.

No I don't expect to get my deposit back. :)
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:I rented one of those offsite storage units. Overnight I tunneled under it, placed the goodies in a chamber I carved out. The walls are ladened with arms and armour. Scattered about the floor in piles and chests are clothing, gold, silver jewelry several solid silver candlesticks and ingots of gold. Scattered around the floor under some of the gold coins are 6 bear traps. The trapdoor leading to the storage unit is rigged with poisoned needles and a rigged crossbow. Parked in front of the trapdoor is a old Coleman cooler with BioHazard decal and bundled newspapers stacked all around.

No I don't expect to get my deposit back. :)
Nice.
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I just pay my ex mother in law to stand in front of mine, I could have gotten a dragon but they are not quite as scary. :twisted:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Peter Remling wrote:I rented one of those offsite storage units. Overnight I tunneled under it, placed the goodies in a chamber I carved out. The walls are ladened with arms and armour. Scattered about the floor in piles and chests are clothing, gold, silver jewelry several solid silver candlesticks and ingots of gold. Scattered around the floor under some of the gold coins are 6 bear traps. The trapdoor leading to the storage unit is rigged with poisoned needles and a rigged crossbow. Parked in front of the trapdoor is a old Coleman cooler with BioHazard decal and bundled newspapers stacked all around.No I don't expect to get my deposit back. :)
Lat timje I stored stuff in a public storage unit like that, it was broken into.
The ONLY things they took were my oxy-welding tanks and my archery gear.

perhaps I should have invested in a few bear traps.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

i WOULD LIKE TO STATE that my gear is in a cedar hope-chest I am rebuilding but somehow, I ended up putting my cloth & wool bolts there.
So my Ranger Garb is hanging in the back closet (next to my PFD & wetsuit) with my swords and bows hanging on the wall and my gear is copy-paper boxes resting on wire shelves. (helps convince my daughter that her old bedroom is no longer free for her to move back).

Still, once I finish repairing to lid and making shelves, my gear will go into that chest.
well, save for my bow and longsword whoich are too long.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

My cloth items like shirt, trousers, boots and jerkin and cloak are kept in a costume closet that shares my sci fi armor, gear and re enactment cloth items and a chest in my 'armory' houses leather items. Dagger (Ravenclaw) and my sword (Ravensheart)
Last edited by Rifter on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

I've got a large cedar chest that I put most things in.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Peter Remling wrote:I rented one of those offsite storage units. Overnight I tunneled under it, placed the goodies in a chamber I carved out. The walls are ladened with arms and armour. Scattered about the floor in piles and chests are clothing, gold, silver jewelry several solid silver candlesticks and ingots of gold. Scattered around the floor under some of the gold coins are 6 bear traps. The trapdoor leading to the storage unit is rigged with poisoned needles and a rigged crossbow. Parked in front of the trapdoor is a old Coleman cooler with BioHazard decal and bundled newspapers stacked all around.No I don't expect to get my deposit back. :)
hmmm, doable!
I've managed to getthrough worse.
How about a map to the unit?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

RikJohnson wrote:
hmmm, doable!
I've managed to getthrough worse.
How about a map to the unit?
Well ok, first turn right once you get outside your door....(no your other right). Next go f37.2 meters straight ahead. Turn Northeast and travel 428 miles. You'll see a sign in "Police Department (it's just a cover). Go inside and say to the guy at the ddesk " I'm here for the buried treasure.

Determine the dead center of the room and with a pickaxe chop through the carpet and floor tiles. You'll have to deep about a foot down till you come to the plywood trap door.

Watch out for the broken step on the ladder. The last person that missed it fell head first into one of the bear traps. If you look close to the left of the ladder you can still see a reddish stain.

Ok, you're almost there and here's where my directions stop. Have fun