Pants

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Pants

Post by Stormraven »

You don't wear undergarments with this set up. The flap is tapered like an upside down triangle and buttons at the top of the leg part (wish I could post pics but I always have trouble with the size here). There's enough material on the flap that it covers what needs to be covered but you can unbutton it in a hurry. Basic scenario. Lift tunic, unbutton flap, flap drops in front. If you need to do #2, just pull it between your legs towards the rear and stuff in your waistbelt, take your squat. If you have to get up in a hurry, your leggings are still up and the trouser belt is still cinched and you only have the flap hanging or stuffed in your belt, but your tunic still hides your privates while you're running, climbing, fighting, etc.
It's funny that no matter what movie you watch, roleplaying game you play, book you read, they never talk about how the heroes go to the bathroom and it's never brought up. Figured it was time to do so.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Ruusun

Post by Ruusun »

This looks like a good set up for us women too! Especially that you can pull the flap back that far.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, and that set-up makes a lot of sense to me. I just happen to like wearing undies of some kind for a number of different reasons - so in the end, that's the only drawback I see about the style of leg covering you're describing.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

As long as we are being as open and strait forward as we are (and why should we not? this is important if not normally discussed stuff! much to the chagrin of those who have not worked it out in the wild!) I would think that if soft suede or buckskin were used for the flap, it would be very easy to do a simple gathering stitch on the sides, in the middle part to get the kind of pouch shaped gather that would aide in comfort and modesty. It would feel rather like a bathing suite and in that same vein a light lining might help for those not desirous of the "commando effect", while still allowing the benefits of such a rough and ready system. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Manveruon wrote:Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, and that set-up makes a lot of sense to me. I just happen to like wearing undies of some kind for a number of different reasons - so in the end, that's the only drawback I see about the style of leg covering you're describing.
I read this and just completely died from laughter :lol: :lol: :lol: Just the way it was put
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice