Hithlain

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Hithlain

Post by ineffableone »

Ringulf wrote:That is also a good alternative for silk roping and of course that is a natural rope.
I understand and agree with Greg on not wanting to substitute high tech products for things we are trying to recreate, best to be simple in our character concepts and look for the more common approach rather than the epic items known only to heroes and non human technology, but as it has been said in many sources "Technology of a high enough level is easy to mistake for magic".

Since I know no way of finding or making Mithril or Hithlain or cloaks that make you disapear by Elven magic, and since my Palantiir is on the fritz, I may have to be satisfied with Stainles steel or platinum (if I can afford it) Dacron and Lamee (well maybe not lamee) and Look up the vast knowledge of the universe on the internet rather than comune with.... :evil:
I completely agree with this. At some point one does have to realize that "magic" items might just be high tech items.

My issue with paracord used as a rope is mentioned in my post when discussing it, that it is too small diameter to be used as a good climbing rope. There just isn't enough to grab onto, and it will cut into your hands if there is much weight on it. For me that would be my issue for using it as Hithlain. It is impractical as a rope. You need something thicker.